Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to let my doves keep their eggs this month since the holidays are coming up and I'll have time to raise some baby doves, and when I was candling the eggs this morning I noticed one of the eggs appears to have two embryos inside.

https://i.imgur.com/XROAg50.jpg

The eggs are around a week old, and if I watch carefully I can actually see both the little dark areas moving slightly, so it looks like theres 2 in 1 egg.

The egg is the same size as the other egg with only a single embryo inside.

I can't seem to find much info on twin doves via google, so I'm not sure how this will turn out. (If anyone can chime in that would be great)

These are the possibilities I can see happening:
- 1 embryo will die and the other will grow and hatch
- Both will die and the egg wont hatch
- Both will grow and hatch but be very small and possibly unhealthy
- They will conjoin and either die in the egg or hatch and die shortly after

Sorry if its a bit morbid, but I can't see two baby doves trying to grow in an egg meant for a single baby going well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i am a new pigeon owner and you seem with alot of experience so i was wondering if you can help me.
I few months ago i bought a pair of pigeons, shortly they layed eggs and 2 healthy babies were born. Now they have their 2nd round of babies but this time the parents are literally fighting over the 2 new babies. The male will be laying down and the female will attack him to get him up and vice versa. I separated the male but i do not know if this is wrong.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I decided to let my doves keep their eggs this month since the holidays are coming up and I'll have time to raise some baby doves, and when I was candling the eggs this morning I noticed one of the eggs appears to have two embryos inside.

https://i.imgur.com/XROAg50.jpg

The eggs are around a week old, and if I watch carefully I can actually see both the little dark areas moving slightly, so it looks like theres 2 in 1 egg.

The egg is the same size as the other egg with only a single embryo inside.

I can't seem to find much info on twin doves via google, so I'm not sure how this will turn out. (If anyone can chime in that would be great)

These are the possibilities I can see happening:
- 1 embryo will die and the other will grow and hatch
- Both will die and the egg wont hatch
- Both will grow and hatch but be very small and possibly unhealthy
- They will conjoin and either die in the egg or hatch and die shortly after

Sorry if its a bit morbid, but I can't see two baby doves trying to grow in an egg meant for a single baby going well.
Pigeon eggs have hatched with 2 babies in one egg and been fine.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hi, i am a new pigeon owner and you seem with alot of experience so i was wondering if you can help me.
I few months ago i bought a pair of pigeons, shortly they layed eggs and 2 healthy babies were born. Now they have their 2nd round of babies but this time the parents are literally fighting over the 2 new babies. The male will be laying down and the female will attack him to get him up and vice versa. I separated the male but i do not know if this is wrong.
Hi Grod, and welcome to PT. You really need to start your own thread on this topic. I'll PM you how. But for now, don't separate them. Sometimes they will hog the egg sitting, but should work it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would see how that turns out. The best you can do is to let nature take its course and just help the squabs if they do hatch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts