Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey :) I have captured two new pigeons. One really tiny fledgling female, and a large male. The femme is emaciated, has bad feathers, and minor scissoring of the beak, still noticeable, also might have canker. The male is more of a question. One of his feet isn't recognizable as a foot any more, it's just a glob of ugliness. He has one to on that foot, for a total of five toes. I'll post pics now, I've just gotta grab them and take the pics!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol :) the question is: can I save his last toe on that foot? he also actually has four toes..pretty tragic (lol at wording). It's really swollen. *shudder shudder* the foot is just a glob, and oobbbvviioouussllyy he has a huge limp. No more string there, the skin looks cracked though. Neither have canker, just bad poop. Both are also skinny, the femme being *anorexic type skinny* and the male enough to feel his bones clearly.

How do I fix scissors? I know I'll have to file the beak down, but after that?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This pic doesn't really capture hhow bad it is, I mean, it isn't TERRIBLE, it's just worse than what this pic suggests =3

Here you can see how long the top beak is.

Not a great pic, doesn't really show the swelling enough.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
OK, it actually looks sorta half-healed already. You need to make SURE there is no further string or alien material still tied or embedded into the foot. Make sure nothing else is cutting off circulation.

Then start him/her on an antibiotic...either Cipro/Baytril or Amoxycillin. You could also use a topical on the skin of the foot. Rx Healer is good stuff, over-counter ointment.

Or you could crush up metronidazole tablets into a paste and slather some on.

Besides that, just keep 'em fed and watered and make sure they don't have any external parasites.

Definitely feed the baby by hand but check for canker in the mouth/throat...because if there are growths then you'll have to feed him/her Formula and not veggies/solids.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YAY REPLY!!! (I love replies)

No canker. Checked both already. About the Metronidazole Paste, could it just be flagyl? Already sprayed for parasites too ^_^ they were in abundance! No knowledge on scissor beak? And last thing; I'll post a pic tomorrow, but her feathers, particularly the tail feathers are really terrible. they are all hardened by poop into spikes, and don't really look comfortable, do you think a bath will cut it?

P.S. I named the little girl Bliss. =3

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
YAY REPLY!!! (I love replies)

No canker. Checked both already. About the Metronidazole Paste, could it just be flagyl? Already sprayed for parasites too ^_^ they were in abundance! No knowledge on scissor beak? And last thing; I'll post a pic tomorrow, but her feathers, particularly the tail feathers are really terrible. they are all hardened by poop into spikes, and don't really look comfortable, do you think a bath will cut it?

P.S. I named the little girl Bliss. =3
Nice job! Metronidazole is Flagyl.
It wouldn't hurt to let her sit in a warm tub to clean up, just don't let her get chilled in her condition.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone is nice and washed ^_^ Bliss, I washed Clove again, and (my mom named him =_=) Tyson (because he's huge and tough, and Mike Tyson keeps pigeons =_=), everyone looks so pretty now! Before they looked like they had been rolled in poop, but now... WOW! I inspected Tyson's feet for strings, no more, but he had lots of poop and possible infection for me to wash off. After that I soaked his feet in saline water, and when they dried I put on Flagyl, then some triple sulfa. As for Bliss, I just filed her beak a bit, not all that needed, because she seemed stressed. I also attempted to hand feed her, ending with one pea in her and a gagging bird -_- I washed it down with water, and then let her have some dried peas. Clove still has that clot of blood and dirt under her, because no matter how much I examine it, I cant tell if it would hurt to cut it off, I'm just going to wait 'till molting season rolls around I guess. I also sprayed everyone a second time to kill any left over mites and eggs.

I spent about an hour banging an old cage into shape, because I had to move everyone inside as it went below -16celcius. It took a toilet plunger, a toilet scrubber, an extra strength sponge, a copper coil thing for dishes, a brick, tape, and a large hammer just to make it look presentable, oh yeah, and lots of wire cutters.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've read a few of your posts and think your so kind and very smart, are you keeping the pigeons as pets?

its hard to release them after keeping them as pets because you worry they wont find food and they struggle to get back into feeding routines. Though pigeons have a very good memory so maybe they do better than I give them credit for.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks ^_^ and the females are of a lot of use to me (mates for muh males), so I might as well keep those, but males....not so much, having four males and two femmes is quite a struggle! I always give my rescues chances to leave, but my success rate for that has been 0%! NO ONE EVER LEAVES!!!! I also have trouble releasing ones from DufferinFlock, because that is a terrible place to live, so I'll try to rehabilitate them in WychFlock. I also don't know about releasing Tyson, because with the fact that he has one foot, I'm not sure about his ability to run, perch, and generally roost.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OOhhh greeaattt!!! Clove started walking today, and her swelling's gone down! She also perched, which she hadn't been doing in a long time. =3 Also gaining weight

·
Registered
910 Posts
oh, yay! I'm glad shes getting better. I gotta go now have a nice day or night Elisabeth. keep up the good work. I think people should send you donations to help look after the sick and helpless pigeons you find. Bye

Luke

·
Registered
911 Posts
Elizabeth, If the bird with the scissor beak is able to feed on it's own, don't do anything to correct it. As long as it is able to feed itself it has already adjusted to the deformaty. Once you start filing or trimming a beak, it will continue to grow and it will need to be filed/trimmed for the rest of the birds life. As long as the bird can feed itself, just leave it alone and the bird will do fine.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.