Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from the local animal shelter that they had a lost homer. They couldn't tell if the 'club' was an I or an L, so I guess they needed our help for identification and locating. Turns out the bird was AU 09 I 808 - a Foy's band. So we traced it, and lo and behold, the bird is from Maryland! Got him home today and he's got a blue snap on, and a yellow countermark. The owners have be contacted, and they have 10 days to come get it. Technically, as long as it has been there, they've already run out of time, but since I'm the new foster mom, I'll give them another 10 day chance :p
With this racer came a red baldhead 'roller'. Before I had seen it, dad told me it looked to be a pure birmingham. Took it out of the box and yes, the coloration does look like a birmingham (as do all baldheads, LOL) but the beak, legs, and tail are awfully long, and it appears to have too much of a bushy tail to be a pure birmingham. Perhaps an oriental or mix? I don't know. But it doesn't matter, it's still one GORGEOUS bird! I've never seen a recessive red this deep burgandy before, at least, not in person. This bird has a snap on band as well, with a '45' on it. On the other leg, a seamless phone number band. Well guess where this guy is from? ONTARIO. CANADA. How the heck is it down here!? The animal shelter said they've already done the contacting, and the guy said it was an expensive bird who was loaned out to someone as a breeder. He wanted it shipped up there, but the shelter does not ship animals. Pickup only. I won't even ship a bird out of the country. Way too much money and trouble involved, for us and the owner. So needless to say, this one is mine, whether or not the homer stays :p

Either way....I've already named them both, LOL. The homer will either be Marylind or Marylindo, depending on what sex. And the roller is either Tari or Tario (yeah, I was so original with these names :p).

Right now they're in quarantine like we promised, enjoying some cinnamon and honey tea, and B.Y.+Garlic coated seed, with some crushed pepper added. And lots of grit, since all they had at the shelter was wild bird seed. In other words, they're getting some queen-sized love and care! :D

Pictures will be posted in the next post~

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Curious little boogers

About the cage they are in, it's one of my hospital rabbit cages. All wire floor so anything in them is more easily expelled without ingesting it again through their droppings. I have a piece of wood in the left corner so when they hop down, they have somewhere solid to stand. And there's a nest box in the top corner where they sleep, so nothing can really bother them. The cage looks like crap, but it works!
Marylindo is a bit skittish, having already flopped about wanting to get out :rolleyes: But Tari is just very curious. When I took her out of the box, she stretched her neck out as far as possible, to stare me and the rest of her surroundings down. And when I come up to the cage, she comes to the door to take a look at me too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I wonder how the shelter found/recieved the pigeons, maybe from a Subway resteraunt perhaps?? *laughs* just refer to my Glenwood : ) So what are you going to do Becky if the owners dont want the bird back? I think that would put me in a tough position especially if i already have all the birds I need and dont have the room. In the mean time i hope they enjoy your hospitality.

We had one more bird return from our smash 70 mile training toss the other day and it had part of its foot missing (all toes still attached) and only 3 tail feathers, nothing but feathers and bones...and this is just after 6 days gone. I think lost pigeons are really fortunate to be found, i think unless they hook up with ferals and learn to live like one they just end up passing on :(

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think lost pigeons are really fortunate to be found, i think unless they hook up with ferals and learn to live like one they just end up passing on :(
You are correct in a lot cases that is just what happens. That's why it is important that the fancy breeds aren't let out. With the homing ones it is a bit different...They have speed on their side...it is amazing the distances that they will and can go.

The two pigeons a very pretty!
Congrats on the new one and the possible new companion :).

-Hilly

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for what I'm going to do with them if the owners can't get them...well....I guess if the roller turns out to be a hen, I'll let it mate up to my lonely dropper George. For some reason we have no luck keeping hens of his kind, and right now he's wooing all the homer hens :rolleyes: (I actually discovered today that I have a red baby from two blue homers....a red baby with a very stubby beak...George! Dangit!). And the homer I won't be able to fly, but I can let it mate with any singles I end up with in Old bird season. Raise a baby, and then my race bird will have someone to come home to ;)
If push comes to shove, I'll just adopt them out to someone I guess. I already have a couple people in mind if I need to place the homer, and I might have an idea for the roller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts