Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a couple months ago about one bird with a swollen foot, I've been keeping an eye on it, feeding it, and lots of other birds come eat, too. I've just today noticed ANOTHER bird limping, also with swollen toes... I couldn't catch the first one, now there are two - any way someone could help, or any advice??

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
It's always a problem when they are flighted...it's very frustrating.

If you cannot catch 'em, the only other suggestion I have would be to douse the food in antibiotic and pain meds and try to target that food getting to those two particular birds.

It becomes far less than an optimal solution because the dosages are way, way inaccurate (although not much chance of an OD, IMHO...more likely a chance of just ingesting insufficient meds to have an effect) and other birds will well eat some of the same dosed food. Also, you have to get it in the bird for a few days in a row.

BUT...I have done it before.....and in some cases it did seem to help....

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for trying to help these guys out.

Here is a link to a video showing what seems to me to be a very good way of catching a pigeon. I remember an old post(s) describing the method kind of as shown in the videos. I think the key is to get the bird you are after sort of locked in the middle of a feeding frenzy and make a quick grab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7lr5aoxB8&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idqw-rI9B2s&NR=1

Not sure I am crazy about them sort of hassling the birds, but it seems they mean no real harm and in the end may help someone learn how to catch a hurt bird.

Good luck catching them,

Karyn

·
Registered
610 Posts
The easiest way to catch a pigeon is to stand behind it, continually dropping peanuts (not salted) over the head of the pigeon,whilst stooping lower and lower and with both hands apart, catch the pigeon cupping your hands over both wings.

You have to catch the pigeon before it opens it s wings. Whatever you do dont grab the bird by the wings or the tail as it will release it's feathers immediately, leaving the bird with more of a problem than it had before.

Or you can throw a coat over the pigeon. This works better if the pigeon is on its own. When there is a flock it is easier to catch when they are all fighting for the peanuts.

Peanuts are the best food to catch a pigeon followed by seed.

Make sure you have a zip up shopping bag or something dark to put the pigeon in. I use a small shopping bag (Not plastic) which I have punctured air holes in. As soon as the pigeon goes in to the darkness of the bag it settles down.Also you can then ride public transport without anyone knowing what is in the bag.

You should also carry a small pair of scissors,a seam splitter (to get off the string) and some antiseptic cream ,spray etc and paper handkerchiefs.

Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts