Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again and Happy New Year. After "fixing" successfully Christy's nose (see Nostril problem in Sick and injured pigeons), I got two problems: (1) grit and (2) love.
As for (1), I tried to find out how to give this still very young pigeon that, after treating her canker, I am teaching to feed herself by herself, grit. It was a time during her treatment (or adjustment to out of dad's crop stage) when she vomited. Her throat is sensitive to eating seeds so what to do with the grit? How do you give grit to such young little ones without hurting their throat?
And, as for (2), because she was sick and in post-surgeries convalescence, I kind of spoiled her, letting her sleep not only in my room but my bed and when awake letting her stay on my shoulder. But now I got into BIG trouble: she refuses to sleep alone in her cage struggling all night long to get out to me. She only is peaceful when staying --or sleeping-- on my shoulder with beak in my hair and whispering something in my ear. What can I do with this? The "gang" will lynch her at her return "up-there." My heart melts. I feel even kind of abused by the little spoiled girl. Am I doomed?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
They don't need grit til they are old enough to pick it up and eat it. I wouldn't push it. When she's ready, she'll know to eat it.
You spoiled her, now you will have to go through the unspoiling with her. She will in time, get used to the cage. Sleeping with a bird in your bed is very dangerous for the bird. Doesn't take much to accidentally roll over on her. She will be safer in the cage. Just cover it over with a towel which should quiet her down some.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the advice on grit. I was just worried that she would not digest the shelled seeds being too hard on her stomach. And when I said that Christy is peaceful when staying or sleeping on my shoulder I was talking about her sleep, not mine. Of course that when I want to sleep, I put her in her box. I just am stunned by so much attachment a little thing like this can have at this so young age, and understand that if she is murmuring to me when she feels fine, how happy could her real mother be when she murmurs to her. And my heart breaks when I think that I will have to return her soon back to the attic gang very sure that they will not recognize this Lisa after her noblesse lessons with Professor Higgings.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You may have to introduce her slowly, as she will be gone for a while, and they may see her as an intruder. They could pick on her. Just bring her up with them, and see how things go.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
intruder to, unfortunately, her folks too

Everybody up there is intruder to all (spaces) taken but her sibling is till with mom and dad not leaving the nest (close area). Christy will be alone as not the others, but her own mom and dad will see her as an intruder (in their nest area). Or she does not have another area but the parents' one. How long should I wait as she is still very young to be by herself and one more month she will be more intruder than ever. Hmm.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's sad, as the home nest box is where they run to for safety. And the parents always know them as their kids. After a few weeks away from them, they won't know her. If it were me, I wait till they are 6 to 8 weeks old. Then I introduce slowly, by staying with them to see how things go. I just bring them in to visit for periods while I'm there. If they are chased a lot or really scared, then it takes until they are more comfortable, and I feel as though they can defend themselves. Eventually I well leave them in the loft for a few hours alone, but check on them, as I can watch them from inside the house. When all seems well, I well leave them with the others. Just go slow and take your time, that's all.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reintroducing Christy back to the gang

I did it before with other baby pigeons after treating them and teaching them to eat by themselves. Not with their parents, but inside the big cage I have inside the attic. They see each other okay, and the "outsiders" are the gang, not the protected in the cage young, which are apreciated by the gang for having more food than they do.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Good idea. Didn't know you have a cage set up in the attic. That's great.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reintroducing Christy little dilemma

What do you think, should I put her sister inside with her when I bring Christy upstairs? Or, even if healed (from Canker) she could be a carrier for her sister? Or having been fed by same parents both should be immune to Canker by now? Or, if she got her Canker at the time when she was pushed down from the nest, from some picking poopoo? Briefly, should both sisters be together in the same cage for a while when Christy returns? Thanks for your nice as always, words.
M
PS: Christy is still kind of shaky, what if not just from being weak after long starvation? Poops are fine, smell nada, throat clear. But she scares me with her shaking sometimes. For God's sake, what can this be? (she eats and drinks by herself now)
PLEASE TELL ME IF WHEN I SHOULD START THE PROBIOTICS (she is still on antibiotics for 3 more days). Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts