Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello and Happy New Year and good health to your featherly children!
I again need your help with two situations, can you please help?

Situation nr. 1: pox "lesion(?) betadine treatment
I discovered that one of my attic pigeons (too strong to hold and get a pic about it at the same time) has a spherical pea size tumor under the beak . I am not sure if it is pox because it has been three weeks since he had it there and he is as always very happy, healthy and so is his mate and the rest of the gang over there. But just in case because I heard betadine over outside pox lesion (still not sure if its round "pea" outside skin "tag" is a "lesion") helps with its drying I covered it last night (I only can catch him when he sleeps) with betadine. Boy how scared I got when I found out afterwards that betadine had to be diluted, which I did not.
Question: what should I do now: to continue tonight with, this time diluted, betadine treatment, to continue treatment after a while, or to leave him alone completely?

Situation nr.2: what kind of pmv vaccine should I use for the other blind pigeon living by Booboo, the blind pigeon with fallen aside neck with PMV suggestion 3 months ago?
While I struggle for three months already to hand feed Booboo grain by grain and pea by pea because she cannot support her neck straight (and I don't think that she would ever be able to), I start loving very much Coorcoorel, the other blind pigeon also living in my bedroom (both separated from Bebe the aggressive blind male who lives in my computer room. It is very hard for me to travel weekly PA to NY especially now with icy roads with two separate birds in two separate baggages unallowed in a bus and I would have liked to put them together but I am very afraid that Coorcoorel not get PMV (if it was PMV) too.
Question: what kind of PMV vaccine I should protect Coorcoorel with not to get pmv from Booboo, as I read that there are two different kinds of PMV vaccines: live vaccine and dead vaccine, and two different locations to do their injections: neck and leg. So far (3 months of co-habitation) so good. But I simply to not have room myself in my own room of their two different headquarters in it. I must put them together (and they also seem to want this too).

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Hello and Happy New Year and good health to your featherly children!
I again need your help with two situations, can you please help?

Situation nr. 1: pox "lesion(?) betadine treatment
I discovered that one of my attic pigeons (too strong to hold and get a pic about it at the same time) has a spherical pea size tumor under the beak . I am not sure if it is pox because it has been three weeks since he had it there and he is as always very happy, healthy and so is his mate and the rest of the gang over there. But just in case because I heard betadine over outside pox lesion (still not sure if its round "pea" outside skin "tag" is a "lesion") helps with its drying I covered it last night (I only can catch him when he sleeps) with betadine. Boy how scared I got when I found out afterwards that betadine had to be diluted, which I did not.
Question: what should I do now: to continue tonight with, this time diluted, betadine treatment, to continue treatment after a while, or to leave him alone completely?

I wouldn't bother with it. You don't know that it is pox. If it is pox, then it should be getting worse. It is also very contagious, so more of the birds would be getting it.

Situation nr.2: what kind of pmv vaccine should I use for the other blind pigeon living by Booboo, the blind pigeon with fallen aside neck with PMV suggestion 3 months ago?
While I struggle for three months already to hand feed Booboo grain by grain and pea by pea because she cannot support her neck straight (and I don't think that she would ever be able to), I start loving very much Coorcoorel, the other blind pigeon also living in my bedroom (both separated from Bebe the aggressive blind male who lives in my computer room. It is very hard for me to travel weekly PA to NY especially now with icy roads with two separate birds in two separate baggages unallowed in a bus and I would have liked to put them together but I am very afraid that Coorcoorel not get PMV (if it was PMV) too.
Question: what kind of PMV vaccine I should protect Coorcoorel with not to get pmv from Booboo, as I read that there are two different kinds of PMV vaccines: live vaccine and dead vaccine, and two different locations to do their injections: neck and leg. So far (3 months of co-habitation) so good. But I simply to not have room myself in my own room of their two different headquarters in it. I must put them together (and they also seem to want this too).
A PMV bird isn't contagious after 3 months, even if it were PMV. Could have been something else.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, Jay

So the girls can live together. Oh, God, so good news, so good news. God bless you, Jay.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
After about 6 weeks or so a PMV bird shouldn't be shedding the virus. The symptoms may persist longer, and may return in times of stress, but won't spread the virus to other birds.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But the neck fallen soft on a side? It is going to be this way forever?

The virus went to sleep, that's a good news. But Booboo still cannot support her head her neck remaining soft fallen on the (left) side after almost three months. Just sits on the top of her turned upside down. basket as she now cannot climb its edges to sit inside as she used to. I am still thinking that she suffered a traumatic blow from a side from Bebe, the male. Today I dared to put the two blind girls together. Boy how wrong I was. Now Coorcoorel is the one to bully her, disturbing her from her basket. I cannot understand why these pigeons cannot be more friendly with each other, trying to bite even the air around them when feeling someone close. They --separately-- are only happy and loving on my shoulder. Of course I am talking about Coorcoorel and Bebe, not the unhappy Booboo who, shy and always isolated, never bothered anybody and is not able to sit on anything not to talk about my shoulder without falling down. Is she going to remain in this vegetate state forever? She cannot eat by herself, she cannot drink by herself, the blindness is additionally --or first of all-- handicapping her. I would say that she is happy just sitting peacefully on her basket what she did all her life. But what if I am wrong again? She wasn't this way before (right after traumatically losing her sight). Before she could move her head atop of her neck searching greedily and energetically for seeds in her curved bowl and happily proud that she could do it despite her blindness she ate a lot, not what she eats from my hand now grain by grain and pea by pea. Her life was adventurous until she met Bebe. Would you believe that she once, in the very far away beginning, flew from my shoulder, blind as she was, on the top of my two story house just because she recognized some voices of the attic gang, and, then, humiliated because in her blindness she could not protect herself by a courting male who misinterpreted her shyness as a love invitation, flew scared atop of a taller than my house tree of the surrounding woods nearby, where she slept overnight? And after a night of terror (from my part) she finally came down to follow my singing her favorite song voice to my palm which she caressed with gratefulness that she still had a life to live? Not only, shortly thereafter she laid 2 tiny eggs.

I thought Coorcoorel would be happy staying near her as she makes loving calls all day long. But she chased Booboo from her basket when I put them together today. Since my dog died four years ago, these pigeons and especially the three blind ones are my best friends and I suffer that they do not get along together better. Is it anything that can be done for Booboo with her soft neck fallen aside? Hopefully I did not bother too much with my long and for me, tearful story here. Good night and God bless you and your featherly children.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons come to think of their cage as their territory. The other bird probably didn't like someone else moving into her territory. They can be like that.

Your bird may get somewhat better, or it may not. If not, then I don't see much quality of life there. Sad really.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For how long should we wait for that eventual better? Another 3 months? I do not know what to do afterwards? Seeing her vegetating hurts, letting her go hurts too, I don't know which worse. I had two cats who had to go and I will never forget their reproaching looks toward me from the vet's hands when they understood. I don't understand Bebe, why he calls and when a female trusts his calls and comes closer to him, he hits her as hard as he can in the head, is "defending" his territory more important than to get a companion? That he himself calls?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Personally I think if she doesn't improve then euthanasia would be the right thing to do, done by a vet it's painless and peaceful. You can't release her as she will just die slowly of starvation because she can't fend for herself, or she may just be bullied to death by other birds. It's a tough decision but one all we pet owners eventually have to make whether it be a dog, cat or other pet.
Sometimes death is a peaceful release - for humans as well as animals.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When should I do that terrible good bye? At which point in time I should be 100 percent that nothing else can be done? Did you ever had to do it? Are the vets compassionate with pigeons too?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That is a decision that you must make. If you know of a good vet that could determine whether she might get any better, would be helpful.
You would stay with the bird while they euthanize. Never leave an animal with a vet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When should I do that terrible good bye? At which point in time I should be 100 percent that nothing else can be done? Did you ever had to do it? Are the vets compassionate with pigeons too?
I agree with Jay. Find a good qualified vet to help determine whether she will improve or not. Always be present with the vet and don't leave them alone with your bird.

Thing with PMV is when the bird gets scared or stressed the neck gets bent.
Her blindness adds to that stress or maybe is the main factor. Maybe she will adjust and adapt to it.

You never know pigeons are hardy birds. Don't beat yourself up too hard on this =(. She is very lucky to have a sweet person like you taking care of her <.

Just don't keep her with other birds. Pigeons tend to pick on the weak ones and it is dangerous in her case. You can give her company and talk with her everyday. Snuggle with her. She responds to your voice and loves you very much.

But if she is in pain or quality of life is not much it is kinder to euthanize her.

I hope she recovers and that you don't have to say goodbye to her. God bless you for taking care of those poor birds.

I have 2 P.M.V birds. One of them bends his neck a lot but he is improving. When I first found him at times I thought he won't get better but I prayed and had hope + gave him critical care and he looks happier today. Other one is blind in one eye and was also in bad health but she got better. Both of them greet me when I see them and beg for food.

May your prayers get answered and may she recover.

·
Registered
299 Posts
PMV takes long time recovery. The nervous system gets damaged thanks to the virus. It will take time for neurological symptoms to go. Ask a vet if she will recover or not. Don't immediately kill her:( give her some time. I will pray for her.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Try whether this works. Take a piece of cloth. Fold it and make it little thick and tie it around the bird's neck. Ensure there is gap between her neck and the cloth while tieing the cloth. Don't tie it to hard. It worked for my pigeon who had salmonella.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Oh, no, I am not thinking of that thing right now. Because myself I had a serious automobile accident, I believe in physical therapy instead of pulling the plug right away, which therapy I started yesterday with Booboo, gentle moves and massages. She is better, jumps down and up on the basket, grooms herself on the right side too, makes a lot of vocalizing when feeling me around, and I was thinking of a medical collar too, like all the neck injured people wear, only for her size, something from a toe foam protector I am so sorry that your pictures are posted so huge that I cannot understand any details of them. Can you post a smaller picture please? And of course she is not with other pigeons, all my three blind pigeons are, as said, in my rooms (being blind they never fly, just flap wings from time to time) so they stay where I put them (except for Coorcoorell, the spoiled little rascal who always complains when I do not put her on my shoulder so that she bit my ear, the little devil. Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.