Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
August 23rd is our 1st YB race,and as usual,I can`t wait...Are most of you out there racing the YB`s yet ??? I would like for the season to start the 1st Sunday in August..That way,if the weather is/was bad one or two weekends,you can still race the complete program,and still end the season the 3rd or 4th weekend of October.....Alamo

[email protected]

Donny Roberts:E-mail me......CVI club web site address below..Alamo

http://sites.google.com/site/cviracingpigeonclub/

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I believe ours starts September 23rd? Not sure the exact date, but mid-September either way. We just voted to kick it back two weeks due to NC having an extended dove season, with more days allowing hunters to hunt from daybreak. Our first races would have been right at the beginning of it all. I myself, was not that concerned, since every year we're always going to be racing during dove season...but whatever. As long as we race, I'm happy. Racing pigeons have a distinct flight pattern from a mourning dove (heck, I can even tell a homer from a feral in flight), and the racers should be flying relatively high and quick, but, there are still stupid people with no sense who will shoot at anything with wings if the doves are not heavy... :(

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
September 1st for us. It is just too hot to start sooner down here. If I had it my way we would wait until the third week in September to start. It would make for a much more comfortable season I think.

Dan

·
Registered
594 Posts
Here in Connecticut our first race is Aug 22 to Fultonville NY. I am the member who is the farthest from the center of the club and will be flying the shortest distance in all the races.

Hugh,
Salisbury, Ct

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
and the racers should be flying relatively high and quick

I've seen been lucky enough to see my birds on the way home several times, when they are racing they seem to fly 4 to 12 ft off the ground. Thats about the same range a dove will fly.
There is a post on utube that showed 1000 + birds about 6 ft. off the ground.
Dave

G

·
here in NJ you see them mostly flying right over the tree lines but then there are times when they are kinda up in the air but always within eye sight as they buz by .. I enjoy watching many birds that people are tossing , many fly right over my neighborhood and sometimes even mix with my flock before breaking away on their way homeward ;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hi, Here in Florida our race season will start Sept 19th but i believe there will be a warm up race sometime towards the end of august so we can get everything running smoothly and the new people like me:eek: up to speed and trained properly:) in the area's volunteered for before the actual season starts!:D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ah yes, we'll be doing the same :) Still near the end of August I think. But ours won't be races, just club tosses. Or well...I think one of them might be for those with new ETS, to get everything situated so the first real race goes as smoothly as possible.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like I will be racing before a few of you guys...I forgot about the hotter weather down south,and you don`t start untill September.....The weather here has gotten humid and hot....Have to keep an eye on the respiratory systems of the birds...Before you know it,they will be off form,and in need of meds !!.......ALAMO

·
Registered
414 Posts
Last August me and my Dad were taking out YB out on a training toss at about 630am when we looked up and seen anywhere from 600-800 racers heading north...they were probably 200-300 feet in the air and looked like a nice little dark cloud other than the few whites in the flock i remember seeing...we are guessing it was a YB release with the birds heading back to Minnesota....I agree with most of you that they fly high/low and in the middle depending on the weather and who knows...maybe even the terrain plays a factor....on race day i have seen the birds come home telephone wire high and few times drop out of the sky out of the clouds....our first race is Aug 22dn, its a new race station this year and it puts us at about 125 miles or so with the overfly we have....i seen one of you flys in a club with 3 x 300's, i wouldnt mind if we added another one, our club on flys one :mad:

·
Registered
628 Posts
This weekend will be our 3rd YB race this year. We start on Aug 1st and it can sometimes be a hot one. We had heat index last weekend at 105 but had a great race anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts