Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we know there are 8 types of bronze - Kite, Roller, Tippler, Brander, Modena, Lebanon, Toy stencil, and Archangel.

BUT it can be hard to figure out which you have if you don't have reference pictures. Does anyone have/know of a place that has pictures of each? Obviously Modena and Archangel are easy to find. Modenas can vary a bit in their bronzing though.

It would also be good to have explainations. Just what does each bronze do? What parts of the body/feathers does it turn? Do we know how these are inherited yet?

And now to my personal question - typical bronze in homers. You have a little bit of that color in the bars, and maybe sometimes on the chest a bit when the sun shines on them. The babies usually moult a lot or all of the bronze "lacing" on their feathers. But what kind of bronze causes all/each of those? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume roller bronze, since I've never seen anything dramatic in rollers, just the similar bronzing my homers have. :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Mary,the bronze color is the result of an admixture of the black and red pigment granules .The bronzes are enhanced or dulled by the increase or decrease of the percentage of red versus black granules. Bronze color can be produced by a direct gene effect , by an indirect gene effect, or by a variable gene expression.Roller bronze is a form of bronzing that usually is confused and mixed with kite.The gene for Kite (K) produces a reddening or bronzing of the inner webs of the flight feathers and a reddening of the tips of feathers over the head and shield of juvenile feathers .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Avian,I have raised Show Bronze Tipplers for over 40 years.
Brander bronze tipplers carry a type of grizzle (undergrizzle)that is evidently tightly linked to the Kite bronzes. Many tipplers also carry grizzle, tiger grizzle, and pied white as part of their genome.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Avian,I have raised Show Bronze Tipplers for over 40 years.
Brander bronze tipplers carry a type of grizzle (undergrizzle)that is evidently tightly linked to the Kite bronzes. Many tipplers also carry grizzle, tiger grizzle, and pied white as part of their genome.
I dont know much about this foriegn birds only way I find information is by internet
hene In sri lanka
there is not much of a variety of pigeons to raise

the best breeds are modenas archangel and racing homers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Some of the bronze genes are, or appear to me, to be complex combinations with a degree of "overlap" between the different designations.

The basis for "Brander Bronze" is blue T-pattern chequer, heterozygous recessive red, "kite" bronze and undergrizzle, perhaps with dirty and/or sooty. Polygenetic selection will also have had an affect on the differing phenotypes which fall within the "Brander bronze" description of various breeds.
In the UK, the only Brander bronze example I am familiar with is the Show Tippler. Brander x brander pairings will produce recessive red self and "mottle", in addition to brander with variable amounts of black pigmentation. In combination with ash-red this brander bronze will produce a ribbontail phenotype.

The "tippler bronze" in the above photo looks a typical "tortoiseshell" i.e. blue chequer, heterozygous grizzle, possibly recessive red and "a bronze" associated with the hetero. recessive red.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.