Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bird who just isn't well after several different treatments (nystatin, baytril, vibramycin, metronidazole). I posted another thread about this, but I am starting a new one to focus on the microscopy (I hope that's okay) in that it may possibly help someone else in the future. His original symptom was breathing issues, which thankfully have mostly resolved themselves, but he's still puffy and depressed and while the volume of his poops have improved, they still do not look healthy.

I did a fecal smear and viewed under 400x lens. I'm attaching a couple photos that I took. They were taken with my cell phone so they're not great.

To me, I'm seeing oocysts, but perhaps there are other things that look like coccidia oocysts so I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience under the 'scope and can confirm.

I have a few human antibiotics at my disposal... if I do treat for coccidiosis, does anyone know if Septra-DS (sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160) would work? I also have augmentin (amox/clav K 200/125) and I have just plain ol' mox (500) which is not a hard pill like the other 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some research, I think the first photo doesn't really have anything of significance. I realized after doing some reading that coccidia is usually much bigger than 10um so the circles I thought might be oocysts were really just larger urate crystals. Second one... I have no idea... hopefully just plant material.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts