Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I wanted to ask about my black collard dove. It was born the same day as its sibling and is definitely not thriving the same. Right from the first week it was half the size although it was feeding from the parent it is so far behind. It is not walking correctly and its feathers are changing yet appear to be in the straw like shape still. I wanted to know what I should give it for supplements. I separated it as soon as the parents started to peck at it a few weeks ago. It is eating parakeets food and taking water regularly. It is stooling although I do have to bathe it to keep its chute clean. It looks like its heart will beat right through its skin and it is red at some points in its wing joints. Any advice would be helpful and I will try to attach a picture. Thanks

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Is he having a calcium and vitamin D3 supplement in his water? He may be short of calcium but he won't absorb it without the D3. Calcibbost, Zolcal D and Calcivet are all available online and all contain D3 too.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Parakeet food doesn't contain all that he needs. A dove mix would be better. Also vitamins and calcium/D3 supplement. He probably needs probiotcs as well. If you don't have them, you can get some unsweetened Greek yogurt with the live bacteria and put a bit at the front of his beak for him to swallow.

Hard to tell how he is doing unless you post a picture of the 2 siblings together for comparison. How old are they?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Freda, I guess we were posting at the same time.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pic of siblings

They are about 1 or 1 1/2 months old. I will get a dove mix and some vitamins I have probiotics in powder, about how much should I mix in.
Thank you
Sherri

Also he can only walk in circles, is there something I should do?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Oh he looks rather downbeat doesn't he with his ruffled feathers and droopy wings? Is that green poop his too? I wouldn't know what the problem is but I think he's going to need treatment - salmonella produces green runny poop, lethargy, lack of appetite and weight loss and it's a good idea to have the poop tested because he will need antibiotics if that's what he has. Poor little love I hope he picks up soon but if it's salmonella it can be quickly fatal in birds under three months old so a vet visit as soon as possible is imperative.
Also the parents may have been pecking him because they know he is ill.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Those droppings look like starvation droppings from not eating. How much is he actually eating? He could just be pecking at it or throwing it around.
Do you have a vet who can check him out or test his droppings?
How does he walk? Usually if salmonella, it would have killed him. Babies don't last long with that.
Anything in his mouth or way down his throat if you look with a flashlight?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts