Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so 4 days ago (Tuesday) I found a clearly injured pigeon in the barn with my horses . It could not and still can't walk or fly . Its head twists all the way around when you pick it up . If I would of left it the coyotes would have eaten it . I brought it home and put it in a cardboard box with holes . I left the top open (it can't fly anyway) When you sit it down in the box it just goes limp and doesn't move . I put water in the box , but it can't lift its head to drink so I put it in a towel in my lap and held its head where it could drink . After a while I don't have to hold its head but it can't stand on its own . To get it to eat you have to open its beak and put food in its mouth . I didn't want to force it but if it didn't eat it would've died . Today was the first day it eat in 3 days I obviously had to force it . I fed it bread soaked in milk . I found on a different website the salt and sugar in the water . That's what it drank . I need to know what else I need to do and what might be wrong with it .The vets in our town won't help pigeons and the nearest bird place is 4 counties away . I need help I really don't want it to die :( .

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Thank you for caring for this bird.

Please do not give milk, it is bad for pigeons. Wild bird seed will do, or pigeon seed.

Here is a link to neurological diseases, which includes the "twisted neck" syndrome. Allow the bird to eat from a deep spill proof bowl and make sure to not leave bowl with water inside the carrier/cage (when you are not there-or make sure bowl is small enough where it can't get its head in it), as the bird can drown when it's head goes down.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/neurologicalproblems.htm

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Ok so 4 days ago (Tuesday) I found a clearly injured pigeon in the barn with my horses . It could not and still can't walk or fly . Its head twists all the way around when you pick it up . If I would of left it the coyotes would have eaten it . I brought it home and put it in a cardboard box with holes . I left the top open (it can't fly anyway) When you sit it down in the box it just goes limp and doesn't move . I put water in the box , but it can't lift its head to drink so I put it in a towel in my lap and held its head where it could drink . After a while I don't have to hold its head but it can't stand on its own . To get it to eat you have to open its beak and put food in its mouth . I didn't want to force it but if it didn't eat it would've died . Today was the first day it eat in 3 days I obviously had to force it . I fed it bread soaked in milk . I found on a different website the salt and sugar in the water . That's what it drank . I need to know what else I need to do and what might be wrong with it .The vets in our town won't help pigeons and the nearest bird place is 4 counties away . I need help I really don't want it to die :( .
Hello and welcome to PT
Thank you so much for being generous and bringing the bird in.

The way you describe it sounds like pmv to me. Can you post a pic? Have you check the birds body for any other injury(ies)?

Bread are low on nutrition so please don't give him bread. Pigeons are not designed to digest dairy products so please don't feed him milk. You can hand feed him green peas+ few yellow corn pieces which are frozen,thawed and drained under hot water,after the bird has been hydrated. They are easy to digest and will help the bird with hydration.
If you wanna place water in his box then place it in a shallow bowl so that it doesn't get into his nostrils if he accidently get in the water with neck twisted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much that's very helpful . Any ideas on how to get him to eat ? I have got him hydrated but he still refuses to eat . That's why I had to force him last time . I can't put food in the box because he cant lift his head to eat it . Again thanks so much its very appreciated .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.