Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Well it all started about a month ago when i went in the coop and had a homer hen limping around on one leg when i was cleaning. I picked her up once i notice it looking for string and feeling if a break nothing.. I put her back down and all of a sudden the other leg went so she started crawling across the floor. Unfortunatly she died that day..

I went out to my loft today to notice one of my classic old frill had one leg down too, i picked her up and no sprain or anything, she has food and everything but limping, anything you guys may suggest i have in my loft..

I think it is paratocphoid, or however you spell it so im gonna try and see if somone i know needs to needle there birds and ill needle mine with them.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Okay, Well it all started about a month ago when i went in the coop and had a homer hen limping around on one leg when i was cleaning. I picked her up once i notice it looking for string and feeling if a break nothing.. I put her back down and all of a sudden the other leg went so she started crawling across the floor. Unfortunatly she died that day..

I went out to my loft today to notice one of my classic old frill had one leg down too, i picked her up and no sprain or anything, she has food and everything but limping, anything you guys may suggest i have in my loft..

I think it is paratocphoid, or however you spell it so im gonna try and see if somone i know needs to needle there birds and ill needle mine with them.
I don't think this is paratyphoid. If it was, you would have other sick birds....probably lots of them. Being that this has happened to two hens, I would suspect a calcium deficiency and possibly egg binding.
Do you give your birds the red pigeon grit? Oyster shells? Do or did either of these hens recently lay eggs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Egg binding is when an egg doesnt pass out of a pigeons body and gets stuck. I believe thats what it is, but correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Not lately have they had grit in the last week because i havnt went to the feed store but will get some next time, but yes they both did have eggs. How could this be affecting there legs though and can you tell me what egg binding is please
Well, I don't know all the medical terminology, but I know that there's a nerve (sciatic nerve???) that can be affected somehow while laying or producing an egg and that nerve runs down to their legs if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully someone who can explain it better will do so.:eek:
Egg binding or "egg bound" as we call it, is when the hen can't pass the egg. If both hens were on eggs already, then they weren't egg bound, but a lack of calcium can cause that. Until you can get some grit, you need to get some oyster shells or you can actually microwave some eggs shells and chop them up in little pieces and the hens will eat those and get some calcium. How is the little Old Frill doing now? You can also give them human calcium tablets. Just break it up in small pieces.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay well ill try and get some grit this weekend, I'm still gonna needle my pigeons just for safety. She seems to be doing fine, she is laying right beside her mate on eggs. Are you sure i might not have somthing because alot of the eggs i get anyway dont hatch, and some dont even lay. I have had my pigeons together 3 months or so, and only have 3 babies fully grown, the rest die at young age or dont even hatch. I dont touch the eggs much, just once to check if vertil and then if they are cold when i touch them i chuck them :S

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Okay well ill try and get some grit this weekend, I'm still gonna needle my pigeons just for safety. She seems to be doing fine, she is laying right beside her mate on eggs. Are you sure i might not have somthing because alot of the eggs i get anyway dont hatch, and some dont even lay. I have had my pigeons together 3 months or so, and only have 3 babies fully grown, the rest die at young age or dont even hatch. I dont touch the eggs much, just once to check if vertil and then if they are cold when i touch them i chuck them :S
I didn't know about the egg/baby situation. It's possible that you've got something else going on, but what that is, is hard to say.

Would you suggest i split my birds apart?
I would suggest that if you can separate your birds, to do so. Give them a break and if someone can vaccinate your birds, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I will split them up. Ill keep the ones together with eggs for now till they hatch, or jump off. Im trying to vaccinate but i only got 23 birds atm so i dont wanna buy a bottle for myself. But i have a few people who might be doing theres so i might give them a few $ if they can let me do mine too.

I have 2 sections, but the cocks should get the side with the box's right?

the other side has the avary

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Okay, I will split them up. Ill keep the ones together with eggs for now till they hatch, or jump off. Im trying to vaccinate but i only got 23 birds atm so i dont wanna buy a bottle for myself. But i have a few people who might be doing theres so i might give them a few $ if they can let me do mine too.

I have 2 sections, but the cocks should get the side with the box's right?

the other side has the avary
I wouldn't leave just a few pair of birds in with a bunch of cock birds. If you've got eggs that are about to hatch, then just leave the birds where they are. Just replace any other eggs with plastic eggs. You also don't want to vaccinate any birds that might be raising babies soon.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Not lately have they had grit in the last week because i havnt went to the feed store but will get some next time, but yes they both did have eggs. * How could this be affecting there legs though and can you tell me what egg binding is please

* When they don't have enough calcium and they are going to lay eggs, their body will take calcium from their bones to use for the eggs, and it can leave them temporarily crippled and/or unable to push their eggs out, as their muscles also need calcium to work well. Also, give your hens access to lots of sunlight and bathing. The nerves also need calcium to work well.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
If they already laid eggs, it's very possible it could have been post egg-laying paralysis, which doesn't have anything to do with calcium. It's when the nerves get pinched between the pelvic bone and the shell of the egg, crippling the bird after laying the eggs. A warm bath helps loosen everything and makes it easier for everything to return to the normal way. Of course paralysis doesn't cause birds to die like that.

Paratyphoid is possible. If the problem just came up, it may not have had time to effect a bunch of birds yet. Or it could have, just in the less noticeable form in the bowels. Have you noticed any of your birds having unusual droppings lately or going light?

Oh, I just noticed the part where you said you've been having baby problems. Paratyphoid causes sudden death in babies, as well as kill them in the egg if the parents are carrying the disease in their sex organs. You could have some carriers in the loft that are resistant to it themselves, but the other birds may not be.

If you're vaccinating for paratyphoid, I would suggest medicating them with an antibiotic first, follow up with probiotics, and then give them the vaccines a week or so after the meds are over. Vaccines don't do a whole lot of good if the birds are already sick or carrying the disease.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
If you're vaccinating for paratyphoid, I would suggest medicating them with an antibiotic first, follow up with probiotics, and then give them the vaccines a week or so after the meds are over. Vaccines don't do a whole lot of good if the birds are already sick or carrying the disease.
I would follow this advice.

Do they sell vacine stuff in canda, anyone know..? Or would i need to get it shipped in?
You will have to order the vaccine. When you order, make sure you tell them to ship it 2nd day air WITH an ice pack. This vaccine has to kept cold, or it's no good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts