Pigeon-Talk banner

unused loft,,on my doorstep!!!!!

2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  tuxedobaby 
#1 ·
been talking pigeons with some of my customers at work,,one guy told me there is an unused loft at back lane by church hall(its a wee lane with sea veiws at end)it has been there for many years apparently,an di didnt even know it!!!!the lane is only used for access by church and ajoining halls,it is 2 min from my home,gonna do some detective work and find out who owns it,and if they are going to use it again,some kids playing nearby also told my daughter about it(they all know shes pigeon crazy)so gonna see whats doing with this loft and if i can trace owner,if owner doesnt need it id be happy to rent it from him/her and renovate,if its church who owns it id be happy to give a donation and rent,,well see,off to put my detective hat on,,wish me luck!

Discussion starter · #4 ·
how fun! will you be putting domestic pigeons in it, or just open it for the ferals?
id like to home some of my ferals,they deserve a nice loft with all equipt on hand,they currently roost at night on an old crane and some at railway station,where they are not really welcome.it is ideally situated,south facing(ive found out),kinda out of the way so may be good for them,the only buildings adjecent to it is the church halls and the parish church,im off work this afternoon so im off out in a bit to have a look,i am positive it is the church who owns the land that its on,but i must try and trace the person who had the loft(the guy i spoke to at work thought the owner was deceased)im quite prepared to keep it up to a good standard and do all legal stuff etc,but may have to tell a little white lie and say that im having domestics in loft or id prob be refused

Discussion starter · #10 ·
went down tue,,the doorway to the loft was locked!im going again later after teatime as i know the halls are in use tonight and im going to politely ask if i can have a look inside and what the story is with loft(the passkeeper will be there tonight for sure as he has all keys for halls and outhouses,i know the guy to say hi to and hes a sweet old dude)

Discussion starter · #17 ·
UPDATE! went to see passkeeper for halls,the loft is currently being renovated ,the original owner died and it was left to his friend,im going to see him when he comes by tommorow afternoon,im gonna be bold and ask if i can help out with it and see how it goes,he can only say yes or no so see what happens,there has been anti vandal paint applied to upper wall,checked it out after work the other day,its secure enough and soooo close,cant believe i missed it!will keep you all posted

Discussion starter · #23 ·
it was put up to deter local kids from climbing on walls and trying to break in(they would have a lot of explaining to do going home covered in that stuff lol)

Discussion starter · #26 ·
:eek: It sounds like the kind of thing that would stick to pigeons...

Wishing you the very best of luck with the loft! Hope you get it.

it is only painted on side wall,the lofts are through a walkway,the area is quiet but the church has had problems with kids throwing stones and breaking(very expensive and unique)stained glass windows,the church is dated from 1650 and has a "sailors loft"(used in olden days for sailors to hear sermon and leave quietly with access stair to dock and boats)the kids have also been trying to climb walls and get into lofts,the passkeeper told me the little so n sos have run up £1000 worth of damage in past few months,thing is its NOT kids from the area(our area is quiet and respectable)its kids from local estate who can be wild(a few of the parents need a kick up the a** and lessons in parenting skills)i think this will be brought up at next community council meeting!

Discussion starter · #28 ·
my friend sammy knows the guy whos looking after the birds,there are 20 pigeons in loft at present,the guy whos looking after it can only go once a day and let birds out for a fly round,we have been going daily to catch him but missed him by minutes,sammy is going to speak to him and pass on my number and e mail etc,i have also left a bag of pigeon food hanging on loft acess door,the guy looking after the birds is not a pigeon racer,he is just keeping the loft going just now,cleaning,feeding,letting the birds free fly,i dont know what his other commitments are and if he stays local(in town),but i have said to sammy that i am willing to help out in any way i can as it would be sad if the loft has to close and the birds have to find new homes or be sold,it sounds like i wont get my feral space with this loft but if it means the pigeons can stay in their home im happy to help out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.