Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to see about the pigeons this morning,and we had a rare occurance for my area,snow and ice!In 12 yrs this is probably the worst the roads have ever been,and is the most sleet I have seen here.The birds are not paying any attention to the change.The males are still strutting,and everyone is just fine.Notice the light in the lower left corner of each of the flight lofts.I made 4 boxes 7 inches tall and 24 inches square,insulated them,put a 60 watt bulb,drilled a ton of holes inside the circle of my waterer base,and no more frozen drinking water.There are a few photos below.

http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/Dirteeone/snow/

·
Registered
269 Posts
60 watts is probably way more than you need to keep it unfrozen. A good test is to put your fingers into the water and feel if it's even slightly warm. If it is drop the wattage down to 20. You would be amazed at the amount of heat that a 60 watt bulb generates. Remember heat and wood can be a dangerous combination.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I didn't realize yall didn't get much snow. We get a decent amount every year :) We've got about 4 inches right now and it's still snowing. I'm so happy! :D I'm thinking about letting the birds out and taking some pics of them in the snow, to send in to the local news channels. They always remind us a billion times to send in pics or videos of the snow, so why not?

·
Registered
890 Posts
We also got snow here in the Dallas area, but you never know what kind of winter to expect here in Texas. Snow is not unusual but sometimes we practically have no winter at, at times I've seen girls wearing shorts in the winter. It is suppose to get down in the low twenties later this week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.