Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the unwelcomed visitor who killed one of my rollers through the fly pen wire. The roller was sitting too close to the side wire and the hawk could just get a couple of talons through the wire to kill him.

Hard time for year for hawks they are getting desperate to find food since many of the song birds have migrated.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Nice shot. Too bad he got your bird. That's why you use 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the aviary. Or fix it so they can't sit up next to the side wire. My birds like to do that, and I do have hardware cloth, but still ran plexiglass on the sides of the aviary near the perches.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a pair show up for the winter. So far I'm just keeping birds in. But if I was letting them fly I'd do it late in the afternoon in hopes the hawks have fed. The hawks are sure great hunters and really can dart around when trying to catch a bird.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hawks are really desperate for food these days. Their hunger has made them very bold. They don't even fear you. I don't blame'em.
Newday,you gotta make arrangements so that your birds don't sit near the wire or use an hardware cloth so that you don't loose any more birds. Oh I'm thinking about the bird who lost his life. These hawks don't kill instantly but nibble their beaks into the pigeon and eat him when he's still alive.

(Hawks are hiding everywhere. In the fog you can't even see from where the hawk is coming. Last week I was monitering the flight feathers of my birds. There was no hawk around but when I let my (few) birds out(wings tagged),after only a few mins a hawk came out of nowhere and attacked the birds like crazy. Every bird ran for dear life. The birds in the loft also went berzerk. The hawk almost got a bird but I was there with a big stick and shooed it away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts