Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a peaceful dove that I found I found in my backyard. It doesn't appear to be able to fly & when walking is constantly falling over. It is mainly falling forward with it's tail up in the air. I live remotely so am unable to take it to a vet. I have put it in box with some water & seed so it didn't get killed by a hawk, cat or snake. Does anyone have any idea what it might be. I would hate to think it's suffering. If need be I can get someone to put it down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is drinking. He just took a whole eye dropper. Not sure what to feed him so have put some seed in the box. Not sure if he's eating though. He's still very unstable on his feet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
He looks like a youngster to me, might be just weak from lack of food. If the droppings are bright green, then he is starving. You can handfeed him small defrosted green peas. Defrost a few in lukewarm water. Put him on your lap facing to the right. Reach with your lefthand over his body and head. Gently open his beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and out deep inside his beak over the tongue for him to swallow. Try to feed him 10 peas. When that gets digested (droppings will change) feed more. A dove that size will probably take 20 peas 3 times a day. Also leave a small bowl of peas with him, they quickly learn to eat peas by themselves and then you can add some small seeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts