Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These guys are nearly grown now and have their feathers. One is dark with no visible bars on wings or tail. The other is light, with some visible barring when the wings are closed, but much less when the wing is spread. This one also has a golden cast to the chest area which I haven't seen before. What do you color guys think?

margaret

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Well the first one is just a normal andy. The second also looks a lot like the lighter phase of andalusian, but the barring is strange. A very beautiful bird!

Edit: Looked at the picture again. Looks like it has a small 'normal' streak of checks going across the wing. Almost like something you'd see more in mosaic birds. Maybe that and the bars are just the result of a poor quality spread?

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi MARGRRET, The first thing I must say the hen I gave you could be carring some other genetic traits The parents of that hen have given me a few birds that are different .I have two birds from that pair that are recessive opal. My guess is that your bird may be some sort of OPALUSIAN.I have that gold cast on one of the brothers of your hen,and I was told by some that he is an OPAL I also believe that your youngster will molt out those baby feathers and change somewhat in color. As I said your bird may be Opalusian ,time will tell. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi MARGRRET, The first thing I must say the hen I gave you could be carring some other genetic traits The parents of that hen have given me a few birds that are different .I have two birds from that pair that are recessive opal. My guess is that your bird may be some sort of OPALUSIAN.I have that gold cast on one of the brothers of your hen,and I was told by some that he is an OPAL I also believe that your youngster will molt out those baby feathers and change somewhat in color. As I said your bird may be Opalusian ,time will tell. GEORGE;)
Thanks George. I wondered if that was the Opal you had mentioned coming through on that light bird. As you say, time will tell when they molt out. It is going to be a lot of fun to watch what turns out. I'm hoping the gold cast stays as it is quite pretty. BTW, you supplied me with names for these guys, Andy and Raggety Ann. Now which is which will also take some time. :D

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Margaret

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi Margarret

The dark one looks like a fairly typical andy (spread indigo). The lighter one looks to be bar pattern and might be opal. The bars are sort of incomplete and opal can do this, often shows bronze. It might be more apparent after the moult as to what the light one is. Both look to be het dirty. The light one looks as though it is indigo as well.

Bill

G

·
I bet when they do fully mature and molt out into their adult plumage they will be beautiful ..cant wait to se that when they do ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts