Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to keep it after my exhausting attempt to find his owner...

I have a photo album up of him..can anyone identify his breed, and possibly the sex, or how I can tell...his tag says he was born in 2009, but no idea when...but he doesnt even know how to coo yet...and I have NEVER in my life met a bird that absolutely LOVES to be held (cradled in hand, still wont perch on my hand)...this little dude just loves to me cuddled and kissed..

Refer here to my previous posts on his story.....http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/found-very-friendly-pigeon-with-band-39227.html

Does anyone know how I make a pic of him to be my default pic?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out the picture thing! Yay for me! How do you guys like the name "Spirit"? My little angel for sure...

·
Registered
813 Posts
:DSo glad you decided to keep him/her... CONGRATS!:D Yay!!!

I noticed in your album that you have a round perch for him/her.... pigeons love to have a flat perch to roost on, you might try adding a brick or shelves in the cage....or a 2x2's for perches. ((That could be why he was having a hard time with the round one...))

again congrats!;):D

·
Registered
813 Posts
BTW--- LOVE the name! PERFECT for everything s/he has been through!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Congratulations! I hope your little bird will bless you for years to come! you sure saved him!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read about the flat perch..I will take care of that tomorrow...Being he loves to lay in my hand, should I make him some kind of nest?

Anyone know what breed it is??

·
Registered
813 Posts
his breed is a homing pigeon, the sex you will know when he wants you too lol;)
Yep--- Lokata already mentioned it!...

And sure you could offer a nest... and add a little hay or torn paper towel... Ours gather all KINDS of trinkets for their nests...LOL.... They never cease to amaze me!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK..Thanks everyone! Someone said it's a blue check homer. Silly question, but should I be seeing blue somewhere? Im new to the pigeon breed thing...

How old is a bird usually when it learns to coo? Im looking forward to its first real coo..I would think being Im pretty sure it already had been a racer, at least a couple times, it would know how to coo by now..sounds like its sneezing, snoring, and quacking..

I am just still extremely dumbfounded as to how cuddly this bird is..Is it usual for one to nest in your hand for over an hour? You would never believe how heavy a pigeon is until you cradle it in your hand for an hour and 45 minutes...not to mention the wonderful cramping in my arm after the snuggle session...
Is this normal, odd or what? Have an alien pigeon found me?

Any suggestions on something I can use to make a nest, how big and all until I can get to the store this weekend to try and buy a nice one..

My little "Spirit" deserves the best!

·
Registered
690 Posts
OK..Thanks everyone! Someone said it's a blue check homer. Silly question, but should I be seeing blue somewhere? Im new to the pigeon breed thing...The grey color of your pigeon in the pigeon world IS blue.
How old is a bird usually when it learns to coo? Im looking forward to its first real coo..I would think being Im pretty sure it already had been a racer, at least a couple times, it would know how to coo by now..sounds like its sneezing, snoring, and quacking.. Still going through his voice change, cooing is next.

I am just still extremely dumbfounded as to how cuddly this bird is..Is it usual for one to nest in your hand for over an hour? That bird just knows how to train you LOL.You would never believe how heavy a pigeon is until you cradle it in your hand for an hour and 45 minutes...not to mention the wonderful cramping in my arm after the snuggle session...
Is this normal, odd or what? Have an alien pigeon found me?

Any suggestions on something I can use to make a nest, how big and all until I can get to the store this weekend to try and buy a nice one..
Pigeons love to build nests with just about anything they can carry. Pine needles, straw, DRY grass, small sticks. Put some stuff in cage or near cage if alowed out to roam. s/he will build you a nest.

My little "Spirit" deserves the best!
Enjoy your new buddy. Pigeons make wonderfull pets.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you A smith! This bird defintely has me trained for sure...

I ordered a flightsuit and a leash..LOL...Bird has me hooked...

Wish I knew its sex so I can stop referring to the bird as, "the bird", "it", LOL..Poor sexless spirit

So A Smith, do you believe it is in fact a blue check homer?

·
Registered
935 Posts
The as A Smith pointed out is viewed as blue...There are also yellows, reds, brown, opals, duns and many other colors.

The check is the markings.....They are more checker board like. If it was a Blue Bar Homer, it would be that blue with two black bars on each wing.

See this the the Blue Check Homer I just took in....
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/p...und-in-chicago-39000.html?posted=1#post411664

The mookee pigeon in my siggie is a Blue Bar...

-Hilly

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes that bird does look like mine, but mine doesnt have the big white rings around his eyes..maybe cause its just a baby?

I never ever knew I would fall so deeply in love with of all things, a pigeon...but Im happy I did!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes that bird does look like mine, but mine doesnt have the big white rings around his eyes..maybe cause its just a baby?QUOTE]

Yea, most likely. I believe the one I have is an 08 bird, so should be mature.
I believe you stated your as being an 09 bird (?), so probably isn't old enough yet. It'll probably get more checks (markings) with the moult as well.

-Hilly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts