Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ...I know there's been a lot of threads and advice on splayed leg Syndrome. and great thanks to everyone who has helped!!

I gave it my best, i tried foam bracing and wraps...but Timbit's good leg became swollen and infected from too much movement I guess.....so I took off the brace before it got even worse.
when i tried putting on a new brace I could hear a popping/grinding in his back and hips and he was in pain:( I decided enough was enough.

I DID feel like I was torturing the poor little guy...hes half the size of fledgelings his age. I have him on antibiotics now and hope he pulls through. Hes at least eating well and not stressed.

his infection looks bad, and I just know hes not releasable ( he was ok with the cat cuddling him:eek:) luckily shes scared of all birds if they move AT ALL.:D...
he also can barely fly and cannot walk.

I will just acclimatize him ( or her) to living with us and hes getting used to using his splayed leg.

but thanks to all and I hope I have a little house pigeon:eek:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would take care of infection first and try again. Despite advanced age of baby I think that is correctable even if it takes longer.:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his leg is still very swollen. and theres the whole pain/crunching joint thing with the hip. I know its terrible, but he doesnt ever even try walking...I am considering euthansia. I cant carry him around in a sling for the rest of his life?? nothings working.:(:(:(

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Leg infection

Rehabbing birds and helping them takes time and patience.
Swollen leg in first place is swollen because of improper treatment of the splayed leg.

Why don’t you fix this leg, as it is broken, firmly in the natural position as it should be, you can use piece of wire to make something like orthopedic cast. Then put the bird in the sock. You should make required openings in front and back for head and pooping. Hang the sock to something that will allow bird to touch surface with the feats but not to hold his full weight.
Infection can be treated but again, take the weight of the leg. And give arnica; use cream for sports injuries externally. Leave bird to rest do not handle it. Obviously antibiotics do not work. Of course it is your decision but I would try everything before making decision for euthanasia. Your first post about this was 10 days ago and this time is not enough to treat this type of problems.
Do you want us to try and help this bird or not?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm so sorry your little guy is doing poorly. The swelling and grinding in the joint are very troubling. I looked back at your previous thread and you mentioned possibly seeing a vet. Were you able to find an avian vet for him? Is is possible he has more going on that simply splayed leg? Paratyphoid/salmonellosis can cause leg disablement and stunted growth. When you say he's half the normal size of a pigeon his age, that's a red flag. What type of antibiotic is he on? Baytril is the drug of choice for paratyphoid.

I still think, as with my splay-legged youngster, that he's too old for you to correct it. I can understand why you're discouraged. I do hope a vet can advise you further.

I said I would tell you what happened following my Cory's surgery to correct a badly splayed leg. Unfortunately the news isn't encouraging. My vet took the bandages and brace off last Friday, 9 days after surgery. The leg is in the correct position but it's still swollen and he has no function in the foot, though he can move the leg a little bit. He doesn't put weight on it. He's sick of being confined, went nuts at being in the carrier Monday, broke open the incision and bled all over. We took him back to the vet, who is going to keep him for a few days. He had to re-bandage and brace the leg and it must stay wrapped for at least another two weeks.

In the three days Cory's leg was unwrapped, it started turning back the wrong way again even after being surgically corrected. :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rehabbing birds and helping them takes time and patience.
Swollen leg in first place is swollen because of improper treatment of the splayed leg.

Infection can be treated but again, take the weight of the leg. And give arnica; use cream for sports injuries externally. Leave bird to rest do not handle it. Obviously antibiotics do not work. Of course it is your decision but I would try everything before making decision for euthanasia. Your first post about this was 10 days ago and this time is not enough to treat this type of problems.
Do you want us to try and help this bird or not?:confused::confused::confused:
please dont be so judgmental, I am being honest and i have put a lot into this bird. I am not considering this lightly!! I have rehabbed 4 other feral pigeons, and have put in the effort and saved them.

I cant just suspend him in a sock. I am trying my best...why do you say antibiotics do not work?? I had to take him out of the foam brace( a technique suggested by pigeon owners) because of the sores..I DID follow the instructions....

I have just started antibiotics a few days ago. I am trying not to stress him out. I do not think he is ill in any other way he eats well. and is otherwise fine. I think he is tiny because he is a feral that cant walk and was starving when he was picked up.

but if the leg is not correctable and he cannot walk ever ? then theres not much I can do for him. He cant just drag himself around the rest of his life. I will give him a month to see if he can adapt and learn to walk. Perhaps I can come up with some way for him to.

like I said before I did try re bracing but the joints cant take it. he was in distress and pain.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I understand. There's a real quality of life issue here. So were you ever able to see a vet? I know the situation is even more difficult if you don't have access to an avian vet and even if you do, his legs might not be fixable. Finishing out the antibiotics and giving him a month seems reasonable.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sorry for sounding judgmental, but I’m trying to find solution and understand your position. I’m not there to know what is real situation. My suggestions are based on information you provide.
1. We have splayed leg, which is not swollen, just not functional at present. Needs correction but this is not main problem.
2. We have swollen leg and reason for swelling is either brace that stopped circulation or bird weight that was lying on that leg. (Or both)
3. Pigeon does not walk or try because one leg is swollen and another one splayed and he is in pain.
These are facts right?
First and foremost problem is swollen leg. You treat it with antibiotics, but main cause is not eliminated – weight. I suggested suspension with sock; you said you couldn’t do it, why? When treating broken legs, they do it for exactly the same reasons, to take weight from broken leg. What is the difference in your case?
I suggested Arnica as treatment, because it is good with swellings, inflammations and injuries. You can confirm with Treesa (Trees Gray) she is familiar with it.
Once inflammation is under control you can go back to initial problem, splayed leg.
Check this tread with altgirl35 and see what is done.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f23/splayed-twisted-leg-38857.html
Because of swelling it would be good weight to be taken from legs (doughnut or sock again).
Finally I suggested rest and not stress because of
…he was ok with the cat cuddling him
and this does not help when he is already stressed in pain.
I’m trying to help you and your little guy, not to criticize. If bird is healthy, eating pooping etc. it should have a chance, but only with your help. He will not learn to walk in this situation without orthopedic corrections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts