Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

SF ACC Small Animals is always full and now, dealing with a custody case that brought in 50 rats, is full to over-flowing. Birds are at risk of euthanasia. 7 kings will be put down tomorrow if we can't get them out in time. I CANNOT take them.

They have-
-13 king pigeons
-3 game hens & 3 game roosters
-1 red hen & 1 red rooster

Any placements of these birds will help!

If you think you can help in any way, please let me know as I'll be coordinating with ACC.

I will be posting to the King Caravan thread about possible emergency shipping but wanted to put this front and center!

Thank you,
Elizabeth ([email protected])

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Any possibility of being able to put these birds at one of the area wildlife rehab centers temporarily until permanent arrangements can be made? It's not baby season yet, so I would think the centers would have room for them. If so, we could try and raise some money towards the care of the birds. Just a thought.

Terry

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Another possibility is to start calling all the members in the area to see if each could take a bird or two. If everyone is able to help in this way, that should get all the pigeons handled.

I'm unsure whether we need to get the chickens a place by tomorrow or not. Hopefully Elizabeth can clarify next time she's on.

Terry

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SF ACC King Update

Hello-

Thank you EVER so much for all your efforts to help. Thank you for your research, your 'whatever it takes' support, your offers to pay shipping, your suggestions- thank you! I think we've got enough possibles in the works (for short-term fosters) that no bird will have to be killed.

If we can help place any of the chix/roosters, that does help take pressure off the kings. (I've got folks working on that, too. Mickaboo Companion Bird Rescue is an INCREDIBLE volunteer organization in the Bay Area from whom I and all the area's birds get a TON of support). That said, if you can help, please do but want PT-ers to know you've got back up.

I'll post more details as they are finalized but didn't want folks overly-stressing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SF ACC crisis averted

Wow.

We did good people. No birds will be euthanized. We were able to pull:

4 hens
6 kings
2 doves
4 roosters (going on Saturday)

from SF ACC's over-stretched Small & Exotic Animals dept
and
pair up the remaining pigeons so they could go 2 to a cage leaving behind 7 pigeons in 4 cages for a total count of 19 cages freed up (as of Sat when the 4 roosters go, 15 today).

I want to thank you all for everything you did as well as call special attention to a couple of particularly involved folks-

A special thank you to -
Maria C for becoming a king-pij adopter (SF to Stockton transport still needed)
Mike R for being a foster stand-by & transporting 4 hens & 4 kings to Marin Humane Society
Tricia B & Marin Humane Society for TAKING 4 hens & 4 kings
Marcy S for hooking us up with MHS
Lissa S & Andy's for adding 2 more cages to their very full arc and taking on 4 more birds
Martha K for once AGAIN saying yes! to transporting roosters to San Juan Bautista
Kam P for once again saying yes! to taking & placing all the roosters (!!)
Kippermom for researching shipping options, being ready to drive 250 miles, her all-around "whatever it takes" help for the kings and surprise doves and her leadership of the King Caravan!!!
Dezirrae for being willing to cover shipping
Ivor for once again being ready with a donation
Eric Z & SF ACC for caring, day after day, for the overwhelming flood of animals and for helping us to do our thing

and there were lots more folks who helped but hopefully, that covers the majority of the biggies. PARDON if I'm forgetting anyone. My head is still spinning a bit.

And I have to tell you- if it wasn't for the King Caravan, this might have been the straw that broke my back. You guy's have given me renewed hope and energy.

Thank you!!!! :D

8 )
e

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Wonderful news!! I wasn't able to log on yesterday and when I read the beginning of this and saw it was written yesterday and they had one day, my heart dropped. . .but it turned out great it sounds like. Thanks to everyone who helped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts