Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have two young (feral/street) pigeons in my care. I brought them into the house 3 nights ago after seeing them huddled on my doorstep after dark.

My housemate had told me she thought they might have fallen from their nest and had been trying to feed them.

Pigeon #1 is able to walk, flap his wings, hop up and down my front steps, and appears totally alert. He looks a little scruffy and appears to have patches of feathers missing/pink skin exposed under his wings and a little on his neck. He appears to be sticking around to protect/provide company for pigeon #2.

Pigeon #2 was very weak when I first brought him in, he wasn't very alert at all. By the first morning he was alert. He appears to have injured at least one of his feet/legs and can't move much. He is shuffling around by pushing the tips of his wings against the ground. He can stretch out and flap both his wings. His overall appearance is better than #1 though - he is larger and not as haggard/scruffy looking.

I have been keeping them indoors at night because of cats/foxes in the area. They are in a large box with bird seed and water. When it gets light I have placed them gently back on my front step. At least one large/fully grown pigeon (their mum/dad?) has been hanging around a little and has fed them from his/her beak. They chirp quite furiously when I put them outside though as if scared.

I've had them 3 nights now. I'm really at a loss as to what to do. My cousin, who has pigeons, has advised me to try splint #2's leg(s) but I'm scared of causing more damage.

There aren't any pigeon friendly vets nearby that I can find through researching online. And I don't have a car and live a good distance from the nearest rescue/rehab centre.

Sorry for the lengthy message. Please help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gemma.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Hi Gemma

Thanks for looking out for them.

I expect they squeak a lot when they go outside because they want to be fed.

It's difficult, because even in daytime they could still be vulnerable to predators, mainly cats, and #2 will need examination and treatment of some kind.

If they are being fed by the parent, probably the male parent, then that is the best feeding for them, but the risk is such that hand feeding will be safer. Maybe they can be outside around the time(s) you've seen them being fed, rather than all day?

I have posted the link and brief info for this post to the two pigeon Facebook groups I'm associated with, since there are more UK people on those. If you are on Facebook, you may want to join these groups (I can authorize your requests)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

(Pigeon Protection & Rescue)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/122466317779485/

(Pigeon and Dove Rescue)

I think the nearest bird hospital that will take in pigeons is Greenmount Wild Bird Hospital but, without transport, it's a problem getting there (Bury) obviously.I think that would be the best option for them, really.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
What part of Manchester are you in?

Whatever you do, don't call the RSPCA, there have been "episodes" with the Manchester inspectors.

The one that has trouble walking could have a calcium deficiency, it can be helped with calcium supplements that are specifically designed for pigeons like Zolcal D, Calcivet, Calcivite and Gem liquid calcium.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Am at work at Manchester Birch Eastbound Travelodge on the M62 this evening after 6pm if anyone is able to bring them up to me. I can advise and possibly take in if not too much work required. Have just found my feeding tube and syringes so feeding not a problem.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John,

Thanks for the advice. I will put them outside soon, as it was roughly around this time I saw them being fed. However I won't leave them out for long and will keep peeping out to check on them.

My Facebook is Facebook.com/gemma.patterson.37 it would be great if you could authorise my requests, thanks!

I may be able to persuade my housemate by Monday to drive me and the birds to Bury, fingers crossed!

Feefo, thanks for the reply. I'm in Fallowfield, so pretty central. I certainly won't be calling the RSPCA then. I'll take a look into the calcium thing, where would I be able to get hold of these products?

Nooti, thank you so much for the offer, the only problem is I don't have anyone available with a car until possibly Monday. And even that may take some begging on my part! Wish circumstances were different!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news!

I've managed to find a rescue centre near me that's willing to let me bring them in - South Manchester Wildlife Rescue. And I've managed to arrange some transport to get us there. Hopefully all will go well and we'll have 2 happy birds and a happy me. Thanks for the advice/help.

Gemma :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts