Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two little babies in my balcony Mother feeds them Just yesterday i saw red feces and a little red in urine. Could it be not blood They are active and go around I keep my balcony extra clean I do not know how this happened .There are small flies also in their wings Tried to move away but is difficult PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi GeorgeOm,

If it was me, and I had this Pigeon...

I would have them in a Cage for containment and observation and safe keeping...Cage bottom covered in white Toweling or Paper Towels.

I would start them on Metronidazole...and, Enroflaxyn and probably I would keep the Medistatin handy.

I would only allow them the very smallest whole Seeds, like Finch or Canary Mix kinds, and, if any doubt as for those passing well, I would move onto a formula or all liquid diet instead, tubed in, untill the problem is cured.

Metronidazole ( for Canker ) tablets ( 60 mG size Tablets ) and Enroflaxyn ( antibiotic ) Tablets can be had from Jedds, Siegals, Global, Vita King, or others via Mail Order, by calling or ordering on-line.

If you have a friendly Vet you can appeal to, time is likely of the essence here, and they could set you up with these Meds.

Apple Cider Vinegar, three Tablespoons to a Gallon of Water, would be good for their drinking water for the next week or so.

Phil
Las Vegas

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank You Where can i find these medicines cause on line ordering takes time Can i use normal tablets like flagyl (metronidazole) for Baytril tablet what is the equivalent ? or they are specialized fro pigeons Can i find them in pet shop
I use exact for feeding can i continue

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Flagyl...should be the same as Metronidazole.

Dose would be about 45 - 60 mg every 24 hours ( or half dose every 12 hours ) for a medium large Pigeon.

Dose for the Enroflaxyn I have here, is one Tablet for average size Pigeon every 24 hours...one Tablet having 7.5 mg Enroflaxyn proper.

Be very watchful of the Crop, and how well it is passing...and of not allowing any but the very smallest Seeds...this syndrome is associated with Crop blockage, and can then become fatal or complicated or both.

If inflamitory issues cause the Crop to slow too much, Candida can result ( 'Medistatin' though the ACV-Water will pre-emptively help somewhat against that, ) which then blocks things even worse.

Where are you located?

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
George, thank you for your concern for these birds.

I may be in agreement with the doctor you spoke to. The color of the droppings is too evenly consistent in color for it to be frank blood, this the bright red blood like we see from a bleeding wound or other injury. In pigeons we see frank blood in droppings mostly associated with reproductive problems and GI infections. If the bird where bleeding higher up in the GI system, this blood would turn dark/black looking as it was digested by the GI tract and would not look red at all. So the consistent color indicates, at least IMHO, that whatever it was evenly ground up by the ventriculus and the passed through the intestines to be processed and the droppings ended up as they look now.

The photo of what the mother left this morning does not look like actual droppings to me, but looks like she has vomited/regurgitated some of her crop contents which as tinged pink/red in color, and I have no idea what this could be, but obviously she did not what it in her.

If you could put them out some clean water and food it may help help more quickly flush their systems to get a better idea just where they are at, but keep a close eye on them in case what they have ingested makes them take a turn for the worse.

Karyn

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
No George, what I am saying, is I don't think this may be blood, but something the mother has feed the baby, based on the thoughts I laid out and now the mother regurgitating pink/red crop contents. No meds just yet, lots of fresh food and water and reassess after their systems have been flushed.

I have to run for the day, Phil may have some thoughts on this.

Karyn

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Ohhhhh, Lol...probably from Mom eating dry Cat Food Kibble...

That'll give them the tannish 'pink' fecal matter and staining which bleeds out.

Maybe see if you can provide decent Seeds for these Pigeons, so they will not be having to eat someone else's Cat food in desperation.

Does not appear to be Blood.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much I feel not alone with you all trying to keep them healthy .I was planning tomorrow to buy medicine metrinazole and norflaxyn to give them .So should i seperate from their mother and give them exact and small seeds .thank you

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
It appears that the only thing 'wrong' may be that the parents are eating dry Cat Food out of someone's Cat food bowls somewhere.

If you can provide good Pigeon Mix Seeds, the Parents will probably leave off forraging on Cat food.

It is dangerous for Birds to eat that junk out of Cat Bowls, since the Cat's saliva can contain germs which may sicken the Bird...as well as that dry Cat food often containes meat products and eancid fats and so on, which would be bad for Pigeons.

If you wanted to have Medicines on hand, just in case you ever need them, nothing wrong with that.

As for this youngster, or these youngsters, as far as I can tell, there is no problem other than wrong diet, and, the odd looking 'pinkish-ten' fecal matter which the dyes used in dry Cat food causes.

If you like, keep posting images of the poops...but please do your best to have the images in focus..!

Lol...

Best wishes!

Phil
Lv

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Does not look like Blood to me.

The dye from the Cat food can take a while to clear out.

Urates however, do not look good there...but, hard to say how-come.

Many types of Cat food are not a good thing for Pigeons.

If you have Metronidazole, may as well give a weeks regimen for 'Canker' and see if the Urates improve.

Ditto with 'Enroflaxyn'...( they might have got some Bacteria from the Cat's saliva getting into the Cat food their Parents - in my opinion - had been forraging).

These youngsters are plenty old enough to be learning to peck, if you have say, the smallest kinds of whole Seeds ( Canary Seed, Finch Seed, the tiny kinds of whole Seeds ) to offer them ( 'peck' with your crook-d index finger, and or get them 'nuzzling' and guide their Beak into a deepish Tea Cup or the likes of the small whole Seeds )...I assume their Crops are passing things well...but keep alert to that.

If you are comfortable feeding 'formula' ( never microwave it - warm to tepid in a Pan of warm Water ) may as well stay with that for a week, just to insure their Crops can keep passing easily.

But anyway, Urates are not 'right', so, something is amiss there...and the Metronidazole and Enroflaxyn might just straighten things out.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Well, have you begun to provide wholesome right kinds of Seeds and fresh clean Water for the Mom and or Dad?

Usually it is the Dad who would still be feeding the youngsters at this stage.

If you can provide him with good Seeds and Water, and he is willing to continue feeding the youngsters, place them where he can get to them, and let him Feed them once or twice a day, being mindful not to let this continue once the youngsters could get away from you!

For now, I think it would be prudent, for them to be on the meds for a Business Week or six days anyway...

If you play it right, you can get them over this 'm-a-y-b-e' illness phase, and still let dad finish things with their upbringing and for them to fly with him to learn to forrage and so on.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.