Pigeon-Talk banner

URGENT confussed about seriously sick pigeon

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jass SamOplay 
#1 ·
My newest rescue pigeon is very ill.. I am at a loss to know what is wrong and how to proceed. I can not find any disease that fits this birds symptoms.

I have rescued and helped over 10 pigeons in my life. This one has me stumped!

Found in middle of road at 2 am in morning.
No injuries... feathers, wings, legs and feet all perfect condition (not like an impact with a car).
Emaciated.. just feathers and bone (so have been sick a while before I found it).
Eyes swollen closed.

I rehydrated the bird over 24 hours. It was very thirsty and drinks very well when I put its beak in the rehydration solution.
Housed it in a brooder with heat pad.
Started feeding defrosted peas by popping them into back of the beak. (will not feed or drink on its own as eyes shut.
It started pooping... very small flat poops, but normal colour.

Next day one eye was able to open (although eyelids are very swollen).

TODAY both eyes can not open.

There is no discharge from the eyes, or crusty matter. Only the eyelids seem swollen. One eye is much worse.

I have started mixing chick feed crumbs in a paste with the peas and making small soft pellets. It takes these well.

But today the poops are very strange,. I have not seen anything like it.

The poops are quite thick... and a light cream in colour.. the consistency and look of cream. It is not pooping as often as it should. There is no smell to the poops.

The bird never moves or sits down. It just remains standing in one position.

It is quite strong when I handle it for feeding and has put on some weight already.

The bird has a strange strong smell about it. Kind of musty. Now its vent is getting dirty with the thick creamy poops.

I need to know if anyone knows if there is a sickness that matches these symptoms.

It is breathing normally. Not fluffed up at all.

I am most worried about the eyes. They are so swollen. If I can not get any major improvement in the next 2 days I think I have to put it to sleep.

I hate to give up on her.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
It can several diseases, not just one, this happen in many cases (sometimes helping mutually) so the symptoms may be caused by more than one agent, like for example a bacterial respiratory infection and worms, or a protozoan (cocci or canker) and a fungus (candida or aspergillus) or even three agents etc.

Putting some photos with the eyelids and the droppings would help.

Check also this symptoms table:
http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/symptoms/

#3 · (Edited)
sick pigeon

Thank you for that link. Sadly the bird passed away about an hour ago. I took it to the vets in the morning where they gave it a shot of antibiotics. I think the stress of traveling and handling tipped it over the edge.

They also took a poop sample and looked under the microscope, but could find nothing.

Very sad.. I hate to think how long it was suffering before I found it. At least I gave it a chance.

#4 ·
Hi Jak, hows the little one doing?
I don't know what to tell you in terms of diagnosis. Like Andrei said, it could be a lot of different things.
But take things a step at a time.

The swollen eyes -
My first thought here was Colloidal Silver.
Do you have any?
This works beautifully for every eye issue with my birds. I either drop a drop, or gently wipe the eye/s with Colloidal Silver...like on a cottonball. Colloidal Silver is great as an antibacterial.

Moving on, the fact its not fluffed or breathing bad is great. Its good its strong too.

But the cream droppings, light in colour...not pooping often, and its vent being dirty...this is worrying. Clearly theres something up internally, intestinally.

Pigeons poops vary in colour. They are what they eat...I have noticed my birds poop are light khaki coloured when they overindulge in peas/beans. If they eat a mixture of every grain/seed, their droppings will be dark khaki-brown to brown with white tops.

Musty smells equals infections

Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

This is a home-made natural antibiotic concoction which has come through for me a thousand times over. I got the recipe from a holistic avian naturopath, and its strong enough to wipe out any gastro-intestinal infection (from crop to cloaca) from ecoli to strep. I swear by it. It is strong, and you'll have to take it easy, watching for any negative signs...hunched posture, tail down = abdominal discomfort, change in poops...you'll have to adjust the dosing according to effects.

My birds are 200grams, the smallest tumbler breed, and they take this dosage well.

MIXTURE:
Oregano Oil (I use Nature's Answer Oregano Oil, for example) - one drop
Olive Oil - 20 drops

mix these oils well, then give THREE DROPS to the pigeon, 4 times daily

You may also give 5 drops of Liquid Kyolic, three times daily.

Probiotics would be great too, if you have any. They need to be given an hour before or after the oregano/kyolic though, as oregano and kyolic are antimicrobials.

I'm not sure I'd use chick feed crumbs either.
Try peas/beans, soft or watered down...maybe try some other grains and seeds little by little, like barley (fibre to cleanse the system), wheat, milo, millet (great for bellies).
Electrolytes if dehydrated, as she'll need salts and minerals...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.