Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I started feeding pigeons on my balcony. At first they were only 1-2, and now they are many. I noticed a sick pigeon a week ago. He is coming and going with the flock, but when they fly away by getting scared he doesn't. He was able to eat though (grain). Yesterday however I observed him and he cannot seem to grab the grain anymore, he keeps trying desperately but he cannot, and it is heartbreaking. I wanted to know if anyone could identofy the disease and tell me if he can be cured if I catch him. The problem is my apartment is small and overcrowded and the other family member are already after me for feeding the birds on the balcony. He tried to come in, but i did not let him, I feel very bad and wish to save him if it is Gods's will.
He looks kind of weird around the eyes, like strangely ruffled. The beak was normal I think 2 weeks ago but gradually became crooked from the top. It seems always open and I think I see his tongue. Actually, it is the 3rd pigeon I see in this condition over the last 6 months and even if I cannot save him I want to know if I see another one next time arlier on if I could do anything.

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for answering. I have a spare cage as I have a parrot inside the apartment. I am in Bulgaria and here tepreratures are around 0 or -3 at night but it may get colder. I may be able to find the medicine, Everyone is after me for feeding the pigeons and they want me to stop. The other pigeons come and eat on this balcony and they may disturb him. Are there any other possible diseases with this kind of looking beak?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to feed them in a green small garden area whihc is public and the people started threatening me that they will pison them. I am waiting for winter to be over to try and stop them from the balcony. The pigeons just get more in numbers, but it is an emotional issue as I got attached to them. I tried stopping them by putting cardborad on the balcony and right away out of stress one of them got sick and died eventually (maybe even more). They know where they live and I still give them in the small garden but some of themkeep coming to the balcony also. If this is canker do I have to try and remove the things from inside his throat? There is only one vet in Sofia who deals with pigeons an he is not working on weekends. I will try my best! What about apple cider vinegar or human trihomonazid pill which contains ronidazole?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks. Trichomonacid is a commercial brand for female infections and contains metronidazole (I found in another forum) that they gave 80 mg of that. I hope I can find it in pharmacies. Thank you for your help! God bless you!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Marina! Thank you, I was able to catch the pigeon. He has indeed a huge white things inside the throat. I bought metronidazole 1/4 piece of 250 g. I was able to hand feed one corn and one pea. He is in a cage now resting. Do you know if I need to give the medicine daily?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, I gave him 1/4 piece and he seems better now as he is able to eat on his own. The droppings are green. I would like to let him go free after 10 days as he is in a cage now on a balcony that is glass covered and I think he may go in depression without his pigeon friends and family. I will post of photo of the droppings tomorrow. You helped me so much onfirming the correct diagnosis - it was indeed canker. I just dont know what to do to ensure his chance of survival longer before letting him go. I am also giving him fish oil and beer yeast in small pearls.
Thank you and God bless you!

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is feeling very uncomfortable though and today keeps moving inside the cage, I think he misses flying. I am not sure what to do. How he will take it for 10 days without flying?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello, he is better. The cheesy growths have disappeared. I took him to a vet that specializes in birds whom I trust and he gave me another professional medication which is suited for pigeons plus some vitamins in powder to add to his water. He said that canker is the mildest of all pigeon diseases if caught early on as it can be treated unlike other pigeon diseases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts