Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are still having sick birds among our flock - and seeming not to have success in treating them.

2 seemed to respond to 6 days of Furazol but since stopping, they look like they are deteriorating again.

We caught a young bird - maybe 3 -4 months old - last Monday. It hasn't eaten since then - only drinking loads of water.

We have been crop feeding it at least twice a day - but the food just seems to go through and not get digested. It is so weak now.

We had Furazol in the water, and in the handrear feed, and we started Medtrich after about 3 days as we saw a bit of nodules in its throat.

Nothing seems to have helped and the poor thing is so weak.... and we fell desperate to know how to still try and help it.

Could it have got too much Furazol as it was drinking so much?? or not get absorbed? Why would the handrear formula seem to not be digested?

We put PMV vaccine in all the water on Sunday as a few of the other sick ones are mispecking and necks turning. We are not sure if its Salmonella side effects or PMV. Two or 3 did improve on the Furazol.

But this young one hasn't shown improvement, hasn't started eating, and is just losing weight and getting weak.

Any help?

Many thanks

Please any help?? Not sure if it will make it through the night unless we get to give it something that targets exactly what the problem is...?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Is Furazol really that effective? I googled and read that it's used to treat a variety of diseases (just like the 4-in-1 meds), so they will show a bit of improvement when treated but won't be cured.

How long has he been on the Meditrich now and are you giving 50mg a day? What about yeast? Yeast can also show up as white dots in the back of the throat. If you have Nystatin, give him 0.5 ml an hour before feeding him. The Nystatin won't get absorbed into his system, it needs to coat the inside of the mouth and crop to be effective.

It must really be horrible with so many sick birds around. If they all have the same symptoms, I would rather get advice from your avian vet so that at least you will know what's going on.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to have a sensitivity culture done so you know your birds are being treated with the correct medication for their illness.It's not unusual for pigeons to have more than one thing at a time. Having sensitivity culture done may save more lives.
In the meantime, hand feed the ones that aren't eating.
It's critical when you do get a diagnosis to medicate the pigeons with symptoms individually.
Believe me, I know how hard this is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Marina B and Charis.

We crop fed the young bird last night, but later in the evening it looked so weak , and I stayed up till 2:30am keeping an eye on it as I thought it might slip away. I made a "donut" to support it after that and thought it would slip away in the early hours of morning.

It was still alive in the morning but so weak and I tried to support it and hold it in my hands. Its breathing became weaker and it would not even take a sip of water, despite prior days of excess drinking. It died in the early afternoon in my hands. Always so sad.

I don't usually use Furazol as for some reason I don't like it, but someone had told us it was a good one for salmonella - which can have similar mispeck symptoms to PMV.

Isn't Baytril then also similar in that it also covers a few diseases ..like a "4 in 1" kind of antibio?

4 of the other 5 remaining sick ones still mispeck though they are able to eat on their own - some worse than others, the seed getting tossed all over the place! After drinking the water with the PMV vaccine, they actually looked a little worse, going around in circles, but that seems to have calmed down now.

Really not sure what the young bird had and why despite being crop fed it just faded away. Feels like we missed it!

We have the other 5 on vitamins, ACV and probiotics - and not sure whether to try any other meds or just let them be for a few days and see if they gradually improve. We've had birds with PMV symptoms that have gradually improved after a few weeks and we have released them again.

The avian vet we used has moved further afield and its less convenient to get to her. I will need to try and find another vet that is closer.

We had a wave of deaths of laughing doves and some pigeons earlier in the year, probably from avian bird flu, and one was PMV.The State Vet services told us that another spike in disease often occurs after May when the migrating birds fly off.

Seems like this has been a really bad year of avian flu and diseases.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You cannot give PMV vaccine to birds who are already ill. It is to give before they get ill. Once they are, there is nothing but supportive care that you can do.

Baytril is a wide spectrum antibiotic, and it covers a lot of things.
The 4 in 1's are generally not good for much as they do not have enough of any one drug in them to cure anything. Baytril has normally been the chosen drug for salmonella, but lately, it seems to take more than Baytril to knock it out. Sometimes even more than one drug. Also, the birds may have more than one thing going on at the same time.
But you must get food into the bird and keep him hydrated while treating, or he will just get weaker and go down anyway.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Sorry you lost him. Here by us only the terns got affected by avian flu, every day on the beach either dead birds or dying. Just horrible. At least the pigeons and doves weren't affected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts