Pigeon-Talk banner

Urgent Help

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  plamenh 
#1 ·
1 month old baby is twisting his neck at 90 degeree Twisting around like rope
please help or any suggestion that whats wrong with him.
thanks in advance

#2 ·
Where did this baby come from? How long has it been doing this?

#3 ·
Could be possible PMV. Do a search and see if there are other symptom that match. If it is PMV..........keep the bird in a quiet place......strees only makes the condition worse. Most PMV birds can survive.......the bird will need alot of supportive care.

I wish you both the best.

#5 ·
Can you take a picture?
Have there been any others that do the twisty neck thing?
Do you have rodents that get into your loft?
When was the last time you brought a new bird into your loft? If so, where ded it come from?

#6 ·
Is just his head twisting or is he falling over as well? Is he putting his head down to the floor?.........Does he appear to be having a sort of a seizure? These are also PMV symptoms as well.

If it is PMV........there is nothing medication wise that you can give him. The virus has to run it's course. He will need supportive care. Is the baby self feeding? You might have to help with hand feedings and keeping him hydrated. He needs to be kept in a dark quiet place. If it is PMV I would suggest you seperate him immediately from the other birds......this disease is contageous and can spread quickly through your loft.

Hopefully there will be other members on shortely more familiar than I with PMV to offer you more advice

Good luck.

#7 ·
It could be other things besides PMV. That's why I asked the questions I did.

#8 ·
Hi Indianbird,
First separate baby from other birds. Place it somewhere quiet out of strong sunlight.
Then check if it is eating and drinking. What the faeces are like? PMV bird’s faeces are usually like thin broken sticks in puddle of water. Water intake is usually increased.
Do not medicate until you know what it is otherwise some medicines can worsen baby’s condition. Do not stress bird unnecessary PMV affects nervous system and additional stress is not good. You can give vitamins and minerals in water.
Check this link:
http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/treatment-plan/specificinfections-paramyxovirosis.php
PMV is not fatal disease if you take care of the sick bird. It is taking long to recover though. If your baby is strong and well looked after it will fully recover.
As Charis wrote it can be other things besides PMV (salmonella, concussion, etc.)
Please keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.