Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

A few days ago a kind lady found a fledgling pigeon. He was limping and wouldn't fly. A few days passed and the pigeon suddenly could not stand or walk. I have taken him into care. He is on amoxyclav and meloxicam. I have done some research and I am wondering if it is possible that this pigeon might have salmonella? If so, does amoxyclav treat salmonella? If not, how do I go about putting him onto antibiotics that do treat it without causing antibiotic resistance?

I will attach a photo of his condition. He does have feeling in his legs - if I hold him and put my fingers on the bottoms of his feet, he will grip (but he isn't too strong).

His poop is dark green thick and runny, with lots of water.

I have been crop feeding him as he is unable to eat or drink on his own given his condition.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello! I’m not an expert at all, but my pigeon had salmonella... the way it was diagnosed was boils on the shoulders and swelling in the legs which eventually led to them being similar to what you have posted but facing forward instead of back. The vet diagnosed antibiotics and after more than a month she began to recover, the type of antibiotic is important.... so initially you need to identify the issue. Xena didn’t have green droppings. Are you able to check her wing joints and legs for boils and or swelling? What are you feeding her and how much?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello! I’m not an expert at all, but my pigeon had salmonella... the way it was diagnosed was boils on the shoulders and swelling in the legs which eventually led to them being similar to what you have posted but facing forward instead of back. The vet diagnosed antibiotics and after more than a month she began to recover, the type of antibiotic is important.... so initially you need to identify the issue. Xena didn’t have green droppings. Are you able to check her wing joints and legs for boils and or swelling? What are you feeding her and how much?
It turned out that he had no circulation in his legs. He passed away today. I'm heartbroken. I don't know if it was my fault. I was going to take him to be euthanised today. He seemed to know what was going to happen. He was looking at me from his cage and I went and sat with him and put my hand next to him and was patting him. His head was dropping and he was closing his eyes. I decided to feed him one last time. I don't know if he aspirated, had a seizure that caused him to aspirate, or if he had a heart attack. I don't know how he could have aspirated when he was drinking the formula by himself - I wasn't forcing it down his throat and I've seen other people do this all the time. He was drinking the formula, then all of a sudden he started shaking violently. His tail fanned out and he started trembling a lot. Then it calmed down a little and he was still searching for the bowl because he wanted to drink more. But then it started up again and this time he turned his head back and he started convulsing. I thought he was aspirating so I was trying to help him but there was no formula coming out of his throat. Then he opened his beak really wide and I could see his trachea flaring really wide as he was struggling to breath. Again, I couldn't see any formula. After a few seconds he started to go limp and then he was gone. I'm traumatised by what happened. Did he have a seizure which caused him to aspirate? Did he have a heart failure? Did he just aspirate? I think it was 1 of the first two. I was feeling for his heart and I can't remember feeling anything pumping but I could be wrong. I'm so freaking heartbroken. He was meant to be euthanised peacefully that afternoon. How am I meant to move on from this. I don't know how I can keep rescuing after this if it was my fault. I don't know what happened.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I
don't have the answers to your questions. It sounds as if she had a seizure. It's always heartbreaking when they don't survive. Unfortunately rescueing them does not always have a positive outcome, especially if one does not have access to good avian vets and you have to quess what is wrong.

Never give up rescueing. xx

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I
don't have the answers to your questions. It sounds as if she had a seizure. It's always heartbreaking when they don't survive. Unfortunately rescueing them does not always have a positive outcome, especially if one does not have access to good avian vets and you have to quess what is wrong.

Never give up rescueing. xx
Thank you so much. I agree it was a seizure. It was tearing me apart, I thought I killed her by feeding her. I was blaming myself. But what the pigeon went through seemed way too violent and intense to be aspiration alone. Especially with when she put her head back and closed her eyes and her eyes started spasming. I feel a little bit better knowing now that it was not my fault. It still hurts so much though. I've buried her in my backyard in a very peaceful spot. Rest in peace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts