Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
My bird, a homer, has watery and swollen eye lid on the left side. I believe she's not been peck by other bird, i think it's some kind of disease. The bird hadn't eat for 2 days now. Anyone please help. What should i do?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Make sure to keep her isolated from any other pigeons, in a safe place where you can keep check on her. Check her poops. Weigh her.

Does she also have any discharge from the nostrils, or a lot of mucous in the mouth?

Does she actually show any definite lumps, boils around the eye or any other place like around beak?

Do you get trouble with mosquitos?

If she has not eaten for 2 days you need to get something in her either by tube or syringe feeding (if you have experience of doing that) or hand feeding her. Make sure she is drinking, it is vital she does not get dehydrated.

Can't suggest meds, as not enough info yet to go on

John

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi

You could start her on thawed out frozen peas and corn (not the canned processed stuff), and maybe some small raw peanuts (as they are easy to digest).

I'd say it is important to first ensure she hasn't got dehydrated, just to be safe, so maybe you can help her with dipping her beak below the nostrils into a pot of water which has a pinch of salt and sugar (or better still glucose) mixed in - not good to feed a bird who may be dehydrated as the digestive system may not be functioning.

Your description sounds like it just could be the so-called 'one eyed cold', but (unless you are certain that she hasn't been pecked) it could also be the result of trauma to the eye area. If you are pretty sure she hasn't been eating, it would sound to me more like an infection.

This post by our fellow-member 'Pidgey' a couple of years back gives the options suggested in a similar uncertain case which you may like to consider, bearing in mind we can't make a sight-unseen diagnosis:

A "one-eyed cold" is an old term for actually quite a few different things ranging from a bad one like Chlamydophila (Ornithosis; Psittacosis, Chlamydiosis) that require a tetracycline (preferably Doxycycline) to something a whole lot less bad like a Mycoplasma infection. Those don't usually cause primary illness other than the localized smaller problems like the conjunctivitis (tissue around the eye swollen and inflamed).

There could be an infection with a simpler bacteria that would respond to an ophthalmic ointment (topical antibiotic ointment like Terramycin or Neo-Poly-Bac that's especially for putting in eyes... usually available at a good pet store).
If you have a vet who sees your birds, I'd suggest getting her checked over to be sure.

John

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Hi

You could start her on thawed out frozen peas and corn (not the canned processed stuff), and maybe some small raw peanuts (as they are easy to digest).

I'd say it is important to first ensure she hasn't got dehydrated, just to be safe, so maybe you can help her with dipping her beak below the nostrils into a pot of water which has a pinch of salt and sugar (or better still glucose) mixed in - not good to feed a bird who may be dehydrated as the digestive system may not be functioning.
John is absolutely correct.
To help you determine whether your bird is dehydrated, please note the following:

Description and degrees, of hydrated and dehydrated birds

A well hydrated bird will be very alert, have elastic skin, bright eyes, moist, plump membrane inside the mouth and well formed moist droppings.

A moderately dehydrated bird will be less than fully alert, have dry, flaky skin, dull eyes, non-formed droppings and have a sticky membrane in the mouth.

A severely dehydrated bird will be lethargic or unconscious, the skin will 'tent' when slightly pinched, have sunken eyes, dry or absent droppings and have dry membrane in the mouth.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f25/basic-steps-to-saving-the-life-of-a-pigeon-or-dove-8822.html

Cindy

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Hello everyone,
My bird, a homer, * has watery and swollen eye lid on the left side. I believe she's not been peck by other bird, i think it's some kind of disease. The bird hadn't eat for 2 days now. Anyone please help. What should i do?
Please make sure to isolate the bird and give it warmth and keep out of drafts of air. Keep your eye out on your other birds for similar symptoms.

Once the bird is rehydrated you will need to hand feed it as the bird will go down quickly if it is not eating on its own.

* This can be the symptom of a one eye cold (IF IT IS JUST IN ONE EYE), which can be caused by a peck in the eye or other injury or caused by improper ventilation drafts or dampness in the loft. * It is also one symptom of respiratory infection.

Observe carefully and be prepared as you need to treat with medication ASAP if it is respiratory (aureomycin with tylan is ideal).

Meanwhile, you can put a drop of colloidal silver in the affected eye, one drop per day to fight infection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, she's fine now, as i bring her to one of the fancier. He gives the bird antibiotic, remove the yellow stuff in her mouth with QTip + alcohol then hand feed her with Kaytee All Baby Birds powder. 5 hours later as i check her, the eye lid look normal, she's started to call the cock, she looks much better.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thanks everyone, she's fine now, as i bring her to one of the fancier. He gives the bird antibiotic, remove the yellow stuff in her mouth with QTip + alcohol then hand feed her with Kaytee All Baby Birds powder. 5 hours later as i check her, the eye lid look normal, she's started to call the cock, she looks much better.
I'm glad she is better--but what do you mean by "yellow stuff in her mouth?" That sounds like canker. Even if not, I would definitely NOT put this bird back out with your other birds. I would isolate her indoors and keep her on heat and keep a very close eye on her for at least the next several days, if at all possible. Remember they can appear fine and then die suddenly, and if she does have something contagious, I would hate for it to spread to your whole flock. Please let us know what the yellow stuff is and how she is doing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I isolated her and brought her inside. My friend said this is not a canker, it can be removed easily with Qtip. I still hand feed her because she eat very little but she's getting better.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
So is it just some kind of gunge maybe from the throat, or attached in any way to either the roof of the mouth or inside the lower beak?

Hopefully it was just loose, mucous type stuff from a respiratory problem which the antibiotic will clear up - if she gets a full course of it.

Guess it's something the fancier friend is familiar with anyway. Glad she's seeming somewhat better.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.