Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

A pigeon with pox has been in my care for almost 6 weeks now. It seemed like the pox was healing, but maybe 3 weeks ago it started to develop a swelling around it's beak. he's been on Baytril for almost 2 weeks now, 0.05 ml twice a day and for a few days also meloxicam 0.1 once a day.
the first couple of days on Baytril the swelling reduced, then it suddenly started to grow. now it started under the beak and on the other side and it#s going towards the head. The vet said there is nothing we can do because he has to fight it himself, I also give anima strath etc. Honestly today I'm not sure if he will eat so I might have to force feed him.
Is there anything else I can do, he's been doing so well for a few weeks and I really don't want him suffer so much

I have uploaded a video here: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Why are you giving baytril? The meds won't cure him and can actually do more harm as all the good bacteria gets killed off as well. Only give meds when you are sure there is a secondary infection. Canker and pox go together, so you need to look out for that.

Can you post a photo of his droppings? Rather give him vitamins, probiotics and natural unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the drinking water.

Maud had a small pimple on her beak when I found her and the pox started growing until the growths dried up and fall off. Took 2 1/2 months from start to finish.
Head Human body Bird Beak Carnivore
Bird Stock dove Beak Grey Rock dove

He lost part of his beak and had to learn how to eat again. Throughout his recovery he was able to feed himself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you giving baytril? The meds won't cure him and can actually do more harm as all the good bacteria gets killed off as well. Only give meds when you are sure there is a secondary infection. Canker and pox go together, so you need to look out for that.

Can you post a photo of his droppings? Rather give him vitamins, probiotics and natural unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the drinking water.

Maud had a small pimple on her beak when I found her and the pox started growing until the growths dried up and fall off. Took 2 1/2 months from start to finish. View attachment 102730 View attachment 102731
He lost part of his beak and had to learn how to eat again. Throughout his recovery he was able to feed himself.
yes, the pox has healed and fell off. Then a blister appeared near the beak and the vet prescribed baytril. It’s pus and blood, for a couple of days it dried off butnow it grows and it gets worse. The vet said there is not much more we can do because the body has to fight it itself. I give vitamins, unfortunately now it’s so bad he won’t eat so I have to force feed him. I will send a picture of his droppings as soon as I’m home. Alsojust to clarify I have two birds, this one with pox and the dove with canker. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
The vets always prescribe baytril. It's still the pox, will take a while longer to heal. Have you checked inside his beak lately? If there's no wet pox (in front of the beak) or canker (more towards the back of the beak) then he will be ok. Leave his seeds in a deep bowl for easier eating.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vets always prescribe baytril. It's still the pox, will take a while longer to heal. Have you checked inside his beak lately? If there's no wet pox (in front of the beak) or canker (more towards the back of the beak) then he will be ok. Leave his seeds in a deep bowl for easier eating.
What’s wet pox? So it’s like an abscess. It’s a swelling filled with pus and blood; inside the beak there is also pus and some blood. I try to clean it with saline. There is no canker, at least visible, but also no canker symptoms. He was doing great but the swelling keeps expanding, now it’s also on the other side of the beak and under the beak and seems to be going towards the eye. He doesn’t seem to eat, probably because of pain and because it’s uncomfortable. I obviously can feed him with Harrison and a syringe but I’m really worried it will turn into a worse infection that spreads everywhere. He’s been doing so great before. So there is nothing else I can do besides supporting his immune system and helping him eat until he eats alone again? Thank you!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Photo of the droppings plse. And also a close up of the swelling if possible. Wet pox is when the pox start growing inside the beak. This is often fatal as this intefere with eating and sometimes breathing.

Is the Harrison powdered food? If so, mix with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Then make small pea size balls and handfeed by putting one at a time deep inside the beak over the tongue. Let him drink water after feeding, the balls will dissolve and digest easy.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
If the swelling is soft and you suspect only pus and blood, maybe you can try and drain it. Especially if it's getting worse. After draining, rinse the whole inside of the pocket a couple of times with saline water.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Photo of the droppings plse. And also a close up of the swelling if possible. Wet pox is when the pox start growing inside the beak. This is often fatal as this intefere with eating and sometimes breathing.

Is the Harrison powdered food? If so, mix with a little bit of water to form a soft clay. Then make small pea size balls and handfeed by putting one at a time deep inside the beak over the tongue. Let him drink water after feeding, the balls will dissolve and digest easy.
Yes, I mix it with Water and anima strath so it's a thick mixture, kind of like baby food. I will send pictures of the beak and droppings in the next post. thank you!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Poor thing. That doesn't look like a pox growth. It's possible he scratched himself and this started an infection. Try to soften that hardened part a bit and gently try to remove some of it. It looks like a plug and holding in the pus.

Are you giving the formula with a syringe small amounts into his beak? Can be very time consuming. Try the small balls as I suggested, but only if he drinks water by himself.

Droppings look ok. There's a bit of yellow to the urates, can be due to the food you are giving or from dehydration. Is he drinking by himself?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Poor thing. That doesn't look like a pox growth. It's possible he scratched himself and this started an infection. Try to soften that hardened part a bit and gently try to remove some of it. It looks like a plug and holding in the pus.

Are you giving the formula with a syringe small amounts into his beak? Can be very time consuming. Try the small balls as I suggested, but only if he drinks water by himself.

Droppings look ok. There's a bit of yellow to the urates, can be due to the food you are giving or from dehydration. Is he drinking by himself?
I don’t think he’s drinking by himself unfortunately :( not eating at all. Everything inside the beak is very swollen. I give the formula into the crop with a crop needle (the metal ones). I do it very carefully and I only chose it because a normal syringe wouldn’t fit because of the swelling. If I give it in the beak I’m worried he will breath it in because of the swelling as well.

But yes I think what happened was that a pox „pimple“ fell off and after that the swelling appeared. Then it got worse and worse. But it just keeps spreading, now it’s under the beak and on the other side. I feel terrible for him and I’m worried he might lose part of the beak.

I talked to my vet and she recommended cooling it to reduce the swelling which I will try.

She also said if it continues we have to talk about „quality of life“ a.k.a. euthanising him which I would never do unless a pigeon has no chance of survival and the pain is unbearable.

however I think he’s quite okay and alert. Maybe he’s not great and the swelling is a problem, but i hope it will improve after a while.
Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Amoxycillin will be a better option to treat the infection than baytril. I'm sure if you can remove the "plug" and gently press that soft swelling you will see some nasty stuff coming out.

It's good you are able to crop feed him. Make the formula the consistency of tomato ketchup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amoxycillin will be a better option to treat the infection than baytril. I'm sure if you can remove the "plug" and gently press that soft swelling you will see some nasty stuff coming out.

It's good you are able to crop feed him. Make the formula the consistency of tomato ketchup.
Okay, I will try that. I use diaseptyl on the swelling outside but my vet said I can also use to clean inside. I will try to remove the hard part now...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soften it a bit first with lukewarm water. If you notice any bleeding, rather stop.
I tried, but it seems like it's very painful for her and I couldn't remove it. However now the "border" is more visible, I assume if I continue this in the next days it will come off eventually. But then there is a hole in the beak? because the "plug" that you mentioned is where the infection started, now this part is very hard, the other swollen parts are rather soft. I'm only worried I'll make it worse by trying to remove it, he seemed very exhausted afterwards and it looked a bit more swollen than before :(

Here is a video of how it looks now:Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, rather leave as it is then. Keep on rinsing that part with saline lukewarm water and put some antibiotic cream on.
Okay! What antibiotic cream do you usually use? And is it safe around the beak / if the ingest it?

This morning I found some brown diarrhoea, I also found normal looking poop which is good, but the diarrhoea seems to be fresh. What could this mean?

Thank you!

Wood Water Pest Insect Wildlife

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use Betadine, but not for internal use. Just dab it in such a way he won't ingest it. Are you giving Baytril? Do you give probiotics as well?
No I don’t give any probiotics. I started adding the vinegar though. Is there anything else I could get? Also is it okay to use Nadiclox 2% creme on the swelling outside the beak? It was recommended in the pharmacy in addditon to betadine. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts