Pigeon-Talk banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hey there! I wanted to ask for your opinion. I think the swelling has reduced, you can see everything is quite orange. I'm only worried about the hard pus piece in the beak. I'm also not sure but I noticed some smell, maybe it's from the skin rotting or so?

Then the droppings, they are yellowish white liquid and a round light brown piece,I would say it's better than before because before it was all liquid?

However today I noticed that he would sit with eye closed. I don't know if it's both, but it's definitely the one on the side of the swelling.

He seems very alert when I get him, but when he's alone not so much.

Also I'm a bit worried because I stopped the anti biotic, but it seems like it's improving, could the infection still get worse inside? Or is he just exhausted from the pain & healing?

Thank you,

Sini

Carnivore Dog breed Nail Snout Houseplant

Snout Wood Plastic wrap Fur Linens

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Bird Finger Feather Nail

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
The yellow urates can be from dehydration, liver problems or canker. Those white growths inside his beak: did he had this from the start? It's not part of the infection on the side of the beak? Is the crop emptying as usual or delayed?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The yellow urates can be from dehydration, liver problems or canker. Those white growths inside his beak: did he had this from the start? It's not part of the infection on the side of the beak? Is the crop emptying as usual or delayed?
The white growth started when the infection on the beak started but today I noticed a bit of a smell. Today I felt like he didn’t have enough droppings for the amount he ate. I’m not sure. But also he started to close the eye on the side of the swelling.
I’m concerned it’s canker, I talked with a friend of mine who also rescues a lot of pigeons and he recommend to start spantrix treatment so I gave him one pill a couple of hours ago. Since he’s off baytril and meloxiam I think it should be okay. And it sounds like it’s a rather safe medication.
I also thought about the liver, in that case what would you recommend? I’ve used legalon for a pigeon with liver problems before.
thank you

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Milk thistle will also support the liver. I'm just worried he might have a yeast infection as well. Yeast inside the beak are more whitish in appearance where cankergrowths are more yellow. But sometimes it's difficult to dustinguish between the two. Can you get Nystatin for yeast? Safe to use. The vet should have subscribed this to be used with the baytril.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Milk thistle will also support the liver. I'm just worried he might have a yeast infection as well. Yeast inside the beak are more whitish in appearance where cankergrowths are more yellow. But sometimes it's difficult to dustinguish between the two. Can you get Nystatin for yeast? Safe to use. The vet should have subscribed this to be used with the baytril.
Yes, I will try to get it today. Do you think it’s okay that I started the spantrix treatment? It cannot make things a lot worse if he doesn’t have canker, right?
I’m a bit disappointed in my vet because they weren’t really helpful with everything. If I wouldn’t have started the antibiotic ointment I don’t know if it even would have stopped. And they didn’t recommend any of that. Telling me his body has to fight it himself is useless.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Keep him on the Spartrix, but try to get the Nystatin asap. Nystatin needs to be given twice a day on an empty crop. So then wait half an hour to an hour and then feed. Doesn't get absorbed into the body, but needs to get in contact with yeast to kill it. For the growths inside the beak you can use a earbud covered with Nystatin and then paint the Nystatin on the growths. Also then wait the recommended time before feeding him. You can give him 1 ml in the morning and 1 ml in the evening. Do for 10 days.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Keep him on the Spartrix, but try to get the Nystatin asap. Nystatin needs to be given twice a day on an empty crop. So then wait half an hour to an hour and then feed. Doesn't get absorbed into the body, but needs to get in contact with yeast to kill it. For the growths inside the beak you can use a earbud covered with Nystatin and then paint the Nystatin on the growths. Also then wait the recommended time before feeding him. You can give him 1 ml in the morning and 1 ml in the evening. Do for 10 days.
Okay. I called the vet but I'm not sure if they will give it to me. She said she will have to look at the file first and why I think he has a yeast infection. I will call back in an hour to see if she agrees.
I just got home and I found a lot of droppings that at least weren't only white/yellow - is it possible that the Spantrix has helped with the digestion already? Or would it be too fast?

Wood Terrestrial plant Linens Stain Cuisine

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
She is an exotic vet, I think that includes avian. yes I will refer to that photo, I already sent it to them in the morning. Now that I read through the symptoms it definitely could be a yeast infection, I’m almost certain. It explains the mucus and slow emptying of crop and bad smell. Also because he’s been on meds so long. If she says no I will have another vet I can try.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
She is supposed to know these things. With pox the immunity is already low. Giving strong antibiotics like baytril will mess up the whole system and kill all the good bacteria as well. Continue with the apple cider vinegar, this will help for yeast and canker but won't cure it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yes, you're right. I just realised Nystatin is the same as mycostantin which I can get in the pharmacy? Are there any differences between mg or something? Or it's just all the same?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Yes, it's the same as Nystatin. Check the strength on the label. 1 ml should contain 100 000 units. A pigeon needs 30 000 units per 100 gr birdweight. So if your pigeon weigh 300 gr, then you can give 0.9 ml twice a day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
The vet was very unhappy prescribing it without me coming in tomorrow and asked why I would think he would have that. I explained the symptoms and asked if there were any side effects or if it could make his condition worse if he doesn't have a yeast infection and her answer was "no" and that it's a very safe medication. So I'm not sure what the problem was really, she agreed to send me a prescription later but that it wouldn't fix his "condition" (which I know but having a yeast infection is still bad, isn't it?)

Unfortunately she forget to send me the prescription today but I'm pretty sure it should be available in the pharmacy, I will check first thing in the morning.

I've heard that sometimes they vomit when taking it, I'm a bit worried because of his beak and throat condition. But because his crop wasn't empty anyways I thought waiting until tomorrow morning might be a good idea, because I will also be able to watch him more. Do you have experience with Nystatin causing vomiting?

Unfortunately before I found him again with a lot of mucus blocking his breathing, I cleaned it and it was fine after, but it's worrying me, it can also happen while I'm away for a few hours and his airways will get blocked :(

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Don't worry, as I explained in my previous posts and as confirmed by your friends spartrix is very safe. It can be used even as a preventative treatment.

Mycostatine is same thing as nystatin (check the pic).
If it's the one in liquid form 100.000 Ul/ml dosage is 30.000 units each 100 gr pigeon weight. So usually 1 ml for adult pigeon. I'm used to give it divided into 2 doses, I mean 0,5 ml morning plus 0,5 evening (total 1 ml on empty crop).
Years ago one of my vet prescribed 1ml twice a day but according to my other vet, to what I read online and to members here on PT (give a look at the following old thread) the dose is normally 1 ml daily divided in 2 doses.
Personally I have never seen vomiting issues.

Regarding liver, I suggest you to look for a product similar to the one in the pic. It is a plant-based supplement containing artichoke and other plants like goldenrod. Artichoke has many health benefits, among them it helps liver health and increases the production of bile, which helps remove harmful toxins from liver. Goldenrod has many benefits too, it's good even for kidney.
Here it is available in agricultural supply stores.

This is a good website about visible indicators of health in mouth/throat, try to give a look at it, there are a lot of helpful info.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello!

A pigeon with pox has been in my care for almost 6 weeks now. It seemed like the pox was healing, but maybe 3 weeks ago it started to develop a swelling around it's beak. he's been on Baytril for almost 2 weeks now, 0.05 ml twice a day and for a few days also meloxicam 0.1 once a day.
the first couple of days on Baytril the swelling reduced, then it suddenly started to grow. now it started under the beak and on the other side and it#s going towards the head. The vet said there is nothing we can do because he has to fight it himself, I also give anima strath etc. Honestly today I'm not sure if he will eat so I might have to force feed him.
Is there anything else I can do, he's been doing so well for a few weeks and I really don't want him suffer so much

I have uploaded a video here: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

Thank you.
Try Ronsec or treatment for canker.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Don't worry, as I explained in my previous posts and as confirmed by your friends spartrix is very safe. It can be used even as a preventative treatment.

Mycostatine is same thing as nystatin (check the pic).
If it's the one in liquid form 100.000 Ul/ml dosage is 30.000 units each 100 gr pigeon weight. So usually 1 ml for adult pigeon. I'm used to give it divided into 2 doses, I mean 0,5 ml morning plus 0,5 evening (total 1 ml on empty crop).
Years ago one of my vet prescribed 1ml twice a day but according to my other vet, to what I read online and to members here on PT (give a look at the following old thread) the dose is normally 1 ml daily divided in 2 doses.
Personally I have never seen vomiting issues.

Regarding liver, I suggest you to look for a product similar to the one in the pic. It is a plant-based supplement containing artichoke and other plants like goldenrod. Artichoke has many health benefits, among them it helps liver health and increases the production of bile, which helps remove harmful toxins from liver. Goldenrod has many benefits too, it's good even for kidney.
Here it is available in agricultural supply stores.

This is a good website about visible indicators of health in mouth/throat, try to give a look at it, there are a lot of helpful info.

Thank you, this is so helpful! I will get the mycostatine first thing tomorrow morning and try it. So he then gets treated against canker & yeast infection, I hope one of it helps :(
@Colombina, I saw you mention to apply betadine on the inside of the beak as well? Because my vet said I should only do it outside but there are some open spots on the inside so if I could apply it there it would help too. Do you dilute the cream?
thank you!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I've also read some older threads reg Nystatin. One of our members (not on here anymore - she has lots of experience reg pigeons) also mentioned that Baytril can cause yeast infections. A vet should always provide an anti-fungal when subscribing this meds.

Don't be alarmed if the urates become more yellowish when on Nystatin, that is normal.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts