Pigeon-Talk banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yes, 0,4 ml twice a day is ok.

When I mentioned Betadine I meant the one in liquid form (solution 10% see the pic), not the cream.
One of my vet explained me that Betadine can be gently applied on canker/yeast growths using a q-tip. I think I posted the thread with all the info in your other thread.

Your bird has also pus piece inside the beak which means abscess. Abscess is usually caused by bacterial infection. Honestly I don't know if in a similar situation is good to apply Betadine so I would not do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Yes, 0,4 ml twice a day is ok.

When I mentioned Betadine I meant the one in liquid form (solution 10% see the pic), not the cream.
One of my vet explained me that Betadine can be gently applied on canker/yeast growths using a q-tip. I think I posted the thread with all the info in your other thread.

Your bird has also pus piece inside the beak which means abscess. Abscess is usually caused by bacterial infection. Honestly I don't know if in a similar situation is good to apply Betadine so I would not do that.
Ah, got it! Yes I read it there and also in other canker related threads you posted. Okay, I will wait and see what the spantrix and The nystatin do. This morning I was already a bit happier with the droppings, it seemed more and more solid. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I just wanted to update you! I just watched her eat some grains by herself for the first time 😍
the swelling has improved too and the white plug in the beak is slowly going away. I’m convinced it has to do with Pantrix. Also her breath doesn’t smell anymore.
The only bad thing is her droppings, it smells quite bad and I was wondering if she could have coccidiosis?
she had it in July and got a one time dose, I don’t know what. She then had normal droppings. Is it possible it coms back or has never been fully removed and with her weak immune system it got worse? I will ask for a feces test today, but I think these are really good news. And I don’t know if this pigeon would be at such a good state compared to before without your help - so thank you!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
So glad to hear there's improvement. I checked my bottle of Coximed. (One tablet per pigeon). For a pigeon sick with coccidiosis, another treatment needs to be done 10 days after the first treatment. So it's possible he needs another treatment, but rather have the faeces checked to be sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thanks for the update!
What a great news 😁!!!

Let us know something about the results of fecal test.

Are you looking for probiotics?
So besides the ACV I purchased probiotics from the vet that I added to the food.It's from "Nature Digest".

I wanted to show you pictures of the beak, I think the plug will fall off soon, it's bleeding a little bit every time I feed him because I have to put some pressure on it to hold him, I try not to but it's impossible.

Also his tongue is visible now, that#s when I realised how bad the swelling was or it was probably just covered in tricho stuff :(

Yesterday I did the fecal test but I think it will take until Tuesday or Wednesday to get the results. it's okay, because I need to wait to finish the treatment anyways before treating coccidiosis.

Here are pictures of the beak, before treating with Spantrix & I think we're 4 days in now. Maybe this will help someone else to get the right diagnose or help a pigeon, since none of my vets even mentioned it could be trichomoniasis. I assume the pox wart covered the tricho swelling, it probably has always been there but only became visible when the pox fell off. It was wrong of me to assume it got infected because he scratched it....
Vertebrate Bird Organism Gesture Adaptation

I know this might not look like a lot, also it was difficult to show everything on pictures, but it's a huge improvement.

On the left you can see the swelling, it kept growing until his left under eye area was swollen and it affected the eye. His beak was totally swollen and the inside covered so much he couldn't eat or drink and his tongue wasn't visible. He had lots of mucus, I think also because of the pus and his inability to swallow.

On the right it's after giving 1 pill of Spantrix a day - the swelling is drying up, but the most important part is that all the stuff on the inside of his beak is going away. No mucus anymore. His tongue is visible again, he even tried to eat grains by himself which is difficult and sometimes he can't swallow them. on the top right picture you can see that the plug is about to fall off, there is a small bleeding edge and I hope it will fall off naturally and he won't scratch it off because it will bleed :( I don't know how his beak will look or if there is a way to stich the are so it won't have a hole in the side,
but for now I'm extremely happy with the improvement, for the first time I think he will survive this :)

For me it seems like maybe not all vets are super educated about pigeons and their diseases or how they can show up, without trying to undermine their medical knowledge of course. I think it's always important to seek medical advice in cases like this, but with pigeons I've noticed that often non-medical pigeon experts who maybe have worked with tons of rescues are more able to identify a disease and find the right treatment.

That's why a forum like this is so amazing and helpful, without it I wouldn't have started the spantrix treatment :) thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi im really sorry to see your pigeon suffer like this.My dove fell inti hot boiling water.Her claws were all blistered with blood coming out of it.I treated her by putting pyodine of her claws through this method.I dont know if it works for your pigeon but do ask Marina B if it is good for her. It is not for internal use and it do keep the bacteria and infection away.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So besides the ACV I purchased probiotics from the vet that I added to the food.It's from "Nature Digest".

I wanted to show you pictures of the beak, I think the plug will fall off soon, it's bleeding a little bit every time I feed him because I have to put some pressure on it to hold him, I try not to but it's impossible.

Also his tongue is visible now, that#s when I realised how bad the swelling was or it was probably just covered in tricho stuff :(

Yesterday I did the fecal test but I think it will take until Tuesday or Wednesday to get the results. it's okay, because I need to wait to finish the treatment anyways before treating coccidiosis.

Here are pictures of the beak, before treating with Spantrix & I think we're 4 days in now. Maybe this will help someone else to get the right diagnose or help a pigeon, since none of my vets even mentioned it could be trichomoniasis. I assume the pox wart covered the tricho swelling, it probably has always been there but only became visible when the pox fell off. It was wrong of me to assume it got infected because he scratched it....
View attachment 102860

I know this might not look like a lot, also it was difficult to show everything on pictures, but it's a huge improvement.

On the left you can see the swelling, it kept growing until his left under eye area was swollen and it affected the eye. His beak was totally swollen and the inside covered so much he couldn't eat or drink and his tongue wasn't visible. He had lots of mucus, I think also because of the pus and his inability to swallow.

On the right it's after giving 1 pill of Spantrix a day - the swelling is drying up, but the most important part is that all the stuff on the inside of his beak is going away. No mucus anymore. His tongue is visible again, he even tried to eat grains by himself which is difficult and sometimes he can't swallow them. on the top right picture you can see that the plug is about to fall off, there is a small bleeding edge and I hope it will fall off naturally and he won't scratch it off because it will bleed :( I don't know how his beak will look or if there is a way to stich the are so it won't have a hole in the side,
but for now I'm extremely happy with the improvement, for the first time I think he will survive this :)

For me it seems like maybe not all vets are super educated about pigeons and their diseases or how they can show up, without trying to undermine their medical knowledge of course. I think it's always important to seek medical advice in cases like this, but with pigeons I've noticed that often non-medical pigeon experts who maybe have worked with tons of rescues are more able to identify a disease and find the right treatment.

That's why a forum like this is so amazing and helpful, without it I wouldn't have started the spantrix treatment :) thank you!
I'm soo happy to see his improvements 😊!!!
Thanks for sharing pics and info, your experience will surely be a great help for all of us!

You're doing a fantastic job!

What you said about vets is so true.
Keep us updated about results of test and progress!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I'm still waiting for the results, the vet said they are having a huge delay because people are on vacation... But yesterday she said I should have them by today.

The vet was also very happy with the beak, she said it might heal well without there being a big hole and she will hopefully be able to live a normal life / eat by herself. If that's the case she will go to a sancuary :)

She also gained more than 30 grams, which is amazing considering she couldn't eat or drink by herself:

About the Spantrix treatment, should I do the full treatment for 10 days? I'm not sure on what day I am, I will have to double check. But because it was quite severe, should I do it longer? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks for the update! Wow! These are great news!!!

I have never done spartrix treatment longer than 10 consecutive days. Have you checked on what day you are?
Canker growths are still there?

The sanctuary is a serious place?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks for the update! Wow! These are great news!!!

I have never done spartrix treatment longer than 10 consecutive days. Have you checked on what day you are?
Canker growths are still there?

The sanctuary is a serious place?
Hey there! The results came back and he doesn't seem to have parasites. He's eating by himself now and since then his faces has improved a lot, I would say they are normal. The smell has also improved. Maybe it was a combination of giving the Harrison mixture, medication & stress?

About thespantrix treatment I think I started on the 7th, so we should have reached 10 days now.His beak is still healing and I think it will still take some weeks, but I can still see some white stuff in the beak. I am not sure if it is healing tissue or part of the canker, would you recommend to stop the treatment or continue?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Sorry for the late reply but I'm having bad days and big problems. One of my pigeons has a serious issue.

Anyway, thanks for the update, I'm very glad to hear about the improvements!

About the white stuff in the beak, I should see them... I know that it's too late for an answer about spartrix but just to be sure I would give it another couple of days (spartrix is very safe). At the end of all the medications treatment remember to give him probiotics and a liver supplement (if I remember well you have both of them).

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Sorry for the late reply but I'm having bad days and big problems. One of my pigeons has a serious issue.

Anyway, thanks for the update, I'm very glad to hear about the improvements!

About the white stuff in the beak, I should see them... I know that it's too late for an answer about spartrix but just to be sure I would give it another couple of days (spartrix is very safe). At the end of all the medications treatment remember to give him probiotics and a liver supplement (if I remember well you have both of them).

Keep us updated!
I'm so sorry to hear that :( I hope the pigeon is better?

here are pictures.I'm mostly concerned about the white stuff in the back....

A friend of mine recommended switching to metronidazole - what do you think?

Thanks

Bird Finger Beak Bat Snout

Skin Bird Hand Finger Gesture

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Are you referring to the yellow piece? Looks like that is part of that infected mass. I've heard Spartrix is better than metro, and you've finished the whole course. I won't give any meds now, rather just keep an eye on it for now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Are you referring to the yellow piece? Looks like that is part of that infected mass. I've heard Spartrix is better than metro, and you've finished the whole course. I won't give any meds now, rather just keep an eye on it for now.
If it grows bigger after stopping spnatrix would it still be possible to use metro? because I know once you stopped spantrix you cannot start again? thank you!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts