Pigeon-Talk banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Thanks for your kind words and for asking about my pigeon Aurora.
Last week I felt fluid inside her abdomen... I immediately went to one of my vets, he said probably it's a tumor or hepatitis.... I felt devastated... Yesterday I consulted the second vet, she did an x-ray and didn't find any tumor, eggs... Liver appears normal. Nothing looks wrong... But there is fluid... She suspects a peritonitis related to reproductive organs issues (Aurora stopped egg laying really early, she is born in 2017 and stopped in 2018 or 2019). We have started an antibiotic treatment plus anti-inflammatory.
I'm so scared and worried because even peritonitis is a very very serious issue...I don't want to lose her...

To answer your questions, I agree with Marina, for the moment I would keep an eye on him.

From what I read it is possible to switch to different canker meds in case of stubborn canker.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I also have updates in this case, this morning the "plug" finally fell off. It got very loose while I was cleaning it, then I tried to remove it very gently. it was only slightly bleeding at one spot because 90% off it was dead tissue and even connected anymore. Now he has a hole and the beak is uneven. He seems okay, I noticed he was eating grains but I'm not sure if it worked. I will watch him today.

I've heard of cases like this and that they will learn how to eat eventually, maybe it will take some time. What do you think? I was hoping he could go to a sanctuary but I'm not sure now, I guess it depends on if he can figure out the eating part.

Hand Finger Nail Snout Terrestrial animal

Wood Insect Flooring Pattern Terrestrial animal

Bird Window Phasianidae Chicken Comb

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Thanks for your kind words and for asking about my pigeon Aurora.
Last week I felt fluid inside her abdomen... I immediately went to one of my vets, he said probably it's a tumor or hepatitis.... I felt devastated... Yesterday I consulted the second vet, she did an x-ray and didn't find any tumor, eggs... Liver appears normal. Nothing looks wrong... But there is fluid... She suspects a peritonitis related to reproductive organs issues (Aurora stopped egg laying really early, she is born in 2017 and stopped in 2018 or 2019). We have started an antibiotic treatment plus anti-inflammatory.
I'm so scared and worried because even peritonitis is a very very serious issue...I don't want to lose her...

To answer your questions, I agree with Marina, for the moment I would keep an eye on him.

From what I read it is possible to switch to different canker meds in case of stubborn canker.

Keep us updated.
Oh I'm so sorry! That sounds really terrible and I really understand how worried you must be now. I hope she will get better with the medication. Keep me updated!

Regarding the pigeon I fed him some grains by hand and will see how he does in the next days, but he's so strong and has survived all this so he will figure this out, too :) thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry! That sounds really terrible and I really understand how worried you must be now. I hope she will get better with the medication. Keep me updated!

Regarding the pigeon I fed him some grains by hand and will see how he does in the next days, but he's so strong and has survived all this so he will figure this out, too :) thank you for all your help!
Thanks so much for your support! I'm so scared and worried... I feel so nervous and anxious..
Checking her abdomen for fluid frightens me a lot...I'm also very worried about the antibiotic dose given by the vet....I fear it's too high...
Anyway, I will keep you updated! Thanks so much!

I'm very glad to see that the "plug" finally fell off! I'm sure that he will learn to eat on his own. He is a brave warrior 😊!
My broken wing pigeon Apple also has broken beak. I know that it's a different situation but she is able to eat on her own.
Pigeons are very tough.

In the bad case you could adopt him 😁.

Keep us updated!

81 - 85 of 85 Posts