Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill try and and keep this short and simple.

Recently iv'e taken in a fledgling/juvenile wood pigeon , their are many issues with this little one and shall be my first time dealing with them .

Alas , i'll list the key problems and queries .

• Pox Virus (Slight severity) Beak , forehead , Left eye lid
  • Pox Virus (Medium severity) Legs and toes
  • Pox Virus (Slight severity) Right wing
  • Diet: Green Peas (Self feeding)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(List of problems is subject to change)

(Times of day i can care for the Wood Pigeon) Bird unattended Mon-Fri
9am-3pm due to lack of members in the household

List of items I have at my disposal: TCP Liquid , 200ml syringe , Orlux Hand-mix , Vitamin supplement for birds.

Flying ability not developed .
I have been looking after this bird to the best of my ability for 4 days(force feeding baby formula,adding vitamin supplements to peas ) but sadly my efforts are in vein as my search for a cure to the Pox Virus has come up dry. In my final attempt of desperation , I have set up this thread to identify any key factors .

Any and all information to help this bird will be greatly appreciated .

Best regards , John

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Can you post a photo? There is no cure for pox. The growths will dry up and fall off in a couple of weeks. Only thing will be to give support and look out for secondary infections esp canker. Boost the immunity with the vitamins and apple cider vinegar in the drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Pox looks mild. The growths might increase in size, but will eventually stop growing and start drying up. Try to get him to eat seeds. Sometimes they get wet pox, growths start growing inside the beak which affects their ability to eat. Hopefully this won't happen. If necessary, you can handfeed. Watch his droppings. If becoming less, then you will know he is not eating.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pigeon Drinking water

Thank you for the reply , but I still need some help.
I have noticed that my juvenile wood pigeon is not drinking any of the water I place in its cage , this has lead me to the conclusion that the only water it is absorbing is from the green peas.

What should I do to make my pigeon start drinking from its dish?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils otherwise he will aspirate) in a small bowl of water to get him to drink. You might have to do this a couple of times. Peas have a lot of moisture, so that's probably why he is not drinking.

Try to get him a dove or wildbird seed mixture. Anything with a variety of seeds, all shapes and sizes. He will start eating the seeds easiest to pick up and swallow and will eventually move on to the other seeds.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You can put down the seeds in the third photo. Leave out the biscuits. Add the seeds to his peas in a small bowl, he will start pecking at them. He might take a while before eating seeds, always leave some peas until he start eating the seeds.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

I have now noticed that the crop area of the wood pigeon is awash with the pox virus . The wood pigeon is picking up the seeds then throwing them away , any reason for this?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
What do you mean the crop area? Can you see growths in his beak and throat? If the growths are towards the front of the beak, then it is pox. If towards the back of the throat, then it is canker. At least canker can be treated with metronidazole.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
As long as on the outside, that is ok. The growths will become more and increase in size. But will eventually stop growing and start drying up. Just keep on doing regular check ups in his mouth for growths.

He is trying to eat seed, that is a good sign. It sometimes takes a while for them to learn. Just give him time.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
No, please don't wash him. He is sick. Droppings might be large cause of the peas that he is eating. If he starts eating less, then you need to start worry.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should I wash his feet? They can get quite dirty and i dont want him covered in his own poop .

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yes, you can soak the feet in lukewarm water. Pigeons love to perch on something, you can put a brick inside his cage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Diet & Perch

The pigeon is doing quite well , I have started feeding it semi moist chunks of suet block . Furthermore i have decided to stuff the green peas with various seeds.

With the new diet I have also added an awesome perfect for perching .

Overall all is well so far !

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts