Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this semester I'm in US History. Been looking forward to it, as it's been a while since we've gone into detail with the wars and such. And wars mean pigeons! Well, looked in the book, no mention of pigeons being war heros. I was slightly disappointed, but not really surprised. Since soon we should be heading close to WWI, today I brought my teacher a copy of the Cher Ami coloring book (will have to find the link again to share). Tells his story and everything. My teacher didn't have time to look at it right that minute, but I did mention to him that I was surprised they weren't mentioned in the books, since they've saved THOUSANDS of human lives in both wars. Not to mention they've be used for lots of other neat things through history, like delivering the news of several important defeats, and being the beginning of the Reuters news service was started with homing pigeons as message carriers.
He said he had no idea. When he saw a picture of a bird with a camera attached to its chest, he said he did recall hearing of them being used for that, but not anything else. A HISTORY teacher doesn't know of something as important as this!? Very disappointed. Not in him of course, but for the darn history classes and their not teaching about the animal war heros. I'm sure many kids would be much more interested in animals than the humans, haha.

I think once I get home, I'll type up a little pigeon history lesson for WWI and II. Just so when we get to that point in the lessons, maybe my class can learn something special. And keep it handy, for just in case I do get the pigeon loft thing passed for our school. The history classes could go out and have a live example of how they used the birds, attaching the messages and such. Yes, I'm determined to make this happen! :p

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
History is full of animals Becky.
Alexander the Great named city after his horse. Hannibal invaded Roman Empire and crossed snowy Alps wit elephants. Geese saved city of Rome by raising alarm. Horse was senator of Rome. German tribes used war dogs in fighting enemies. Pigeons are used for telecommunication, dolphins to detect mines. Someone may actually write whole book about animals and their role in human history.

·
Registered
18 Posts
History is full of animals Becky.
Alexander the Great named city after his horse. Hannibal invaded Roman Empire and crossed snowy Alps wit elephants. Geese saved city of Rome by raising alarm. Horse was senator of Rome. German tribes used war dogs in fighting enemies. Pigeons are used for telecommunication, dolphins to detect mines. Someone may actually write whole book about animals and their role in human history.
now this i a book i would not mind reading at all

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, it would be an interesting book! But I still think pigeons should be at least mentioned, if only just "they used carrier pigeons when all other communications failed", with no detail whatsoever :rolleyes:

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Hi BECKY,I have a book "PIGEONS IN EWO WORLD WARS" This book is realy two books in one "PIGEONS IN THE GREAT WAR"(WW1)BY Lt,Col, A.H.OSMAN, the second book is PIGEONS IN "WORLD WAR 2" by Major W.H.OSMAN who is the son of A.H. Osman. There is also a postscript by the Grandson of A.H OSMAN. For the most part its about English birds, but does have some info on AMERICAN UNITS that used English birds.The book "THE PIGEON" by LEVI also has info on AMERICAN birds.Later this evening I will post a story on a bird used to save a U S Marine patrol. .......GEORGE;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, I would like to have Osman's books. Already have The Pigeon. Will need to look at that part to see if I can pull anything else interesting from it. I recorded War of the Birds when it came on Animal Planet years ago. I'm going to put it on a dvd before something happens to the tape. For some reason I can't find a real copy of it ANYWHERE. The discovery channel doesn't even say anything about it, and it was made by them! :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts