Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is said that garlic is good due to anti- inflammatory/viral/bacterial also as it keeps worms down. It is usually given through water. Can i give cooking garlic granules with food. I wet food with multivitamins liquid and add 1/4 tea spoon of garlic with 500g of food. They eat it. Does it have the same effect? When i add things with water pigeons drink less.

·
Registered
463 Posts
In a pinch I use dry granules also. The process to dry or powder garlic diminishes the qualities so you don't get the full benefit. Fresh garlic clove is the best way to go. If you were going to use the dry only, you would have to use it every day instead of a couple times a week, and I'm not sure it still would be equal to fresh.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Fresh garlic would be best to use. If you crush a garlic clove and add it to the water that will be best. Pigeons will fuzz about the taste but will drink it afterwards when they get thirsty. And I heard,some poeple say that they think their pigeons have developed taste for garlic water.
Some here chop the garlic up into small pieces and give it down the throat or make paste of it and mix it with the seed. Whatever be the way,fresh cloves are best.

I don't giv garlic+vitamin supplements on the same day. Do we give antibiotics and vitamins on the same day??? That question may answer your question, Roller Lover

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have tried dry garlic on food with a splash of linseed oil, you have clean the feeding container really good after.

If minced garlic is given to the birds with small seed straight down the throat it can cause problems for the bird, raw garlic can cause 2nd degree burns on human skin.

Now I only add garlic in water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was asking about "Garlic Oil" not garlic mixed with oil.
I have been using Colavita Roasted Garlic Cooking Oil Blend, all-natural flavor and I mix it with seed and a little bakers yeast.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hello I have used fresh garlic: cut up , orally with no immediate side effects. How much? Less than half a clove / bird. The water method can be dangerous in the summer: if left for too long.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I always use fresh garlic cloves in water. Those garlic preparations may not present garlic with its full potential. And as hamlet correctly points out that in summers treated water start to rot,only hold good for like 4-6 hours.

Like other meds,if a chopped garlic clove is given down the throat in desirable amount then it doesn't cause irritations or problems. Actually its a effective way that ensures that pigeons are not drinking rotten water and everyone's getting its garlic piece.

Skin is a sensory organ. Put garlic on it the sensory receptors gonna send signals to brain. Not only garlic most of other spices cause burning sensation. It can't be compared with internal system where there is saliva and juices. Ofcourse if we overdose by giving a big garlic piece,its gonna cause irritation.

One thing more,the other day in another thread people were talking about giving garlic in summers not in winters. Well,its contrary to what is believed here and being done for centuries. Garlic fastens the blood circulation hence its given more oftenly in winters than summers. We eat roasted garlic cloves with some medicines or use it in our winter dishes to help with blood circulation and warmth in winters. Garlic is warm and is used more in winters. Lack of reliable scienific data about its effects on pigeons is making its use questionable(some say it works others see no difference in birds after its usage) bcuz garlic ain't a med that gives immediate results but used as an immune booster

1 - 9 of 9 Posts