Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been feeling bad about simply throwing away all of the seed that my pigeons don't eat. I fill up their food bowls with fresh seed every day, and we end up with quite a lot scattered on the floor (my pigeons live indoors with me). The scattered seed of course mixes with their droppings, and my understanding is that it's important to dispose of it (rather than try to wait for them to eat it) and I've always done so. But I was wondering if there was a better use to which to put the uneaten seeds than simply to throw them away.

I have a house, and I was thinking about scattering the seed around my back yard. But I was concerned that this might lure mice to the area (which I understand to have been pretty mouse-free) and get them into trouble - such as being killed if they try to enter houses, and encouraging people around here to do horrible things like put anticoagulant poison outside. (If there was a possibility of rats entering my own house that would also be a danger to my pigies too, but I live in Edmonton, Alberta, which I understand to devoid of rats). Also, I've been told that it can be problematic to put out food for wild birds, as this is often food that they don't need to live good lives themselves, but it does cause them to reproduce more frequently, leading to a larger bird population, and encouraging local humans to do horrible things like poison them.

I was thus wondering if it might be best to try to do something like bury the seeds in the backyard in a kind of half-hearted attempt at organic gardening. (I don't think I have time for a more whole-hearted attempt at organic gardening). I'd be happy to eat any vegetables that grow, I'd be happy for local wildlife to eat them as well, and I was wondering if the half-hearted gardening method would avoid simply dumping seed in the area in a way that would get the wildlife into trouble.

Alternatively, if there's no way to do this without putting local wildlife at risk, I was thinking that I could just try washing the droppings off of the discarded seeds, boiling them, and eating them myself in a kind of vegetable stew. Between the washing and boiling I was thinking that that might be pretty safe for me to eat the processed seeds myself.

I'd be most grateful for any thoughts, suggestions, and / or experiences others might have about what to do with discarded seeds.

Thanks!
Howard

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Yea Howard Nye---wash them real good and boil them real good and let us know how they taste. lol..I took my pigeon eggs one time and boiled them and asked my handyman to taste them first after I scrabbled them up real good. Then I tasted them but he went first and it was some experience. lol lol...Why would not those seeds be good boiled up if they are good for our pigeons-----Good Luck to you....I have a lot of seeds left over too--terrible the waste but I just throw them away unless there is snow on the ground then I feed them to the wild birds but they are now gathering too many and this I am going to have to stop....Let us know and in the meanwhile maybe I will boil up a few with seasoning and see who I can get to taste first..lol Thanks for the posting and idea....You go first...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Some people throw them on a garden and cover them with a bit of soil, and let them sprout and grow birdseed, for the wild birds, just as they find in nature. Come the end of the growing season, you will have the wild birds enjoying the seeds of the plants, just as they do from our flowering plants that give seeds.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Bless you, Howard, for your thoughtful and kind heart!

Your birds are so lucky - getting fresh seeds everyday and not eating the ones on the floor!!

I make my Krikky eat the ones she's scattered on the floor (it's still clean, no poops) but sometimes I scoop them up and place them into a container. Once the container is full, I feed the ferals and they looooove it!

The seeds are the expensive ones, those from organic stores and some flown from US, so it's such a waste to throw them away. So the ferals gets the leftovers instead.

You can 'save' your seeds too, and then go to some park and spread them about so the ferals get to eat them. Go to different places each time so the birds won't congregate and look 'overpopulated'. Also, try to go during the times where there are less human traffic (7am on a Monday, etc).

I'm sure the ferals will be grateful to the mysterious feeder (you) who leaves the yummy seeds behind!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts