Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 pairs of homers I started breeding late last year,and it is time for them to take a break.My question was about using fake eggs,and does this allow enough rest for them,or is it best to seperate them from one another.Another thing,is it more important for the hen to rest than the cock?I was wanting to use 2 of the males to breed 2 younger females,but my main objective is to get them the rest they need,and keep them healthy.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
IMO, keeping them together and using fake eggs keeps them from stressing about not seeing their mate... but race folks seperate all the time... so there may be a reason for that other than hatch control, not sure.. or perhaps that is just the way tradition tells them to do it.. I do not have solid walls in my loft and my pairs would beable to see each other.. I have seen how they act when they mistakenly get seperated.. they are not happy campers.. so I leave mine together, seems natural..and use fake eggs for your hatch control and to give the pair a rest from raising babies... If you have a very demanding bully type cock bird and a hen that sees no peace..then I would remove the hen for a time to let her rest, in that type of situation... seems you are doing this breeding opposite of what the racing members do.. they are in full force breeding right now.. do you not race YB's?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Separating

Fake eggs and separating cocks/hen depends on your goals.

Using fake eggs during the breeding season is a good way to reduce the number of young and manage your population.

Separating them after breeding season from midsummer to when you mate them back up in early spring also helps control population size, but also allows them to rest, reduces the number of eggs the hens lay thus not depleting their bodies. Also, it is then easier to pair them up with different mates depending on your breeding program. Separating hens and cocks after breeding season has been a standard practice forever for many breders. It all depends on your goals.

With the overpopulation problem I think its always a good idea to raise only the number of birds that you want for your projects, replacement of breeders and can reasonable pass on to other folks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I breed for color and only fly my birds at home.I aquired some breeders late last summer,and bred them through the winter.I now have other birds laying also.I just wanted to rest the 4 pair,seeing as they raised 4 sets each.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Check out loft designs, sounds like your Pigeons might need a little more room.
A hen, even seperated, but kept in sight of males will still produce eggs. Sometimes at the strangest times!
So far, you do have a plan, stick to it.
Try the fake eggs, it couldn't hurt, otherwise some folks boil, cool, and replace for a time.
I've never had to do any of that, I've seperated (different lofts for a time) for a while, and then tried to match them up.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
If you want to rest the hen you,unfortunately, have to separate her from the cock on a separate section. The perch should also not allow the hens to mate with each other else you have defeated your purpose. The perch then should not allow 2 hens to sit side by side or they might mate like using box perches that allow 2 birds to stand on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts