Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I allow my birds to fly freely, I open the fly door in the fly pen in the AM and close it back up in the evening. It has been suggested that I control my flight times for a few good reasons and to use a trap door to do this. Does anyone use one and what are your opinions on them as I'm considering getting or building one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use a trap. I let my flyers out in the AM and they will trap back in after 45-90 minutes of flying and same in the evening. I would suggest using one as they keep the birds relatively safe inside your loft instead of loitering around outside. Once trained they will come in on their own.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jass I had a problem with a Cooper Hawk once, got two of my young birds but since I hung up a couple of disco balls I haven't seen him around and haven't lost any more, that's been going on 6 months now, something about the shiny reflection distracts them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SR I do let my birds fly at will, they come and go in and out of the loft and yes they do hang out on top or around it so when you say once trained are you saying that once they go back into the loft then don't want back out until you reopen it again ? Don't really understand what you mean when you say they'll go in on their own as they do that now unless you're saying they'll know to go back in within a hour or so ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I meant 'once trap trained'. The trap prevents them from coming out on their own. I've had a couple days where I didn't have their feed schedule right and they refused to trap and just sat outside all day. I sat at work and worried about them all day.

Mine are trained to go in once they land. There is some loitering but most of the time they'll find their way in safe for the day/night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm curious about this as well- I have one homer (Audi) who's been in training for flights up to about a 30 mile radius so far- He's VERY smart, and super reliable- I usually release him in the yard with one of my newbies- to help "lead" them to the loft around dinner time, as some of the new guys tend to sit on the roof of the house or in a tree and not really fly around trying to get back into their loft- I'd LIKE to be able to let them out for an hour or so a day, then have them return and put themselves to bed like my Audi... Not sure how to go about doing this though- Currently have 1 pair sitting on eggs and 1 pair who're expecting eggs and Audi (5 potential flyers). Any thoughts? Or am I better off keeping their flights strictly reserved to training tosses?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.