Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need just a little help here:

Our club has traditionally used Bowen surveys for our distance calculations but I'm trying to start collecting gps coordinates for lofts and race stations.

The problem is this: When I am assigning the coordinates to a loft in WinSpeed, I get an error message saying that the "minutes need to be a value less than 60". However, many of the coordinates include numbers larger than 60. I'm getting these coordinates from both Google Earth and my hand-held GPS unit.

An example of a coordinate I'm using is 38.93'89.88"N, 84.75'83.79"W

Also, I am using the correct "format" of typing in the coordinates - I'm using the colons, decimals in the correct place. I don't have problems typing in the coordinates if the numbers are less than 60.

I'm just not sure what I'm missing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Maybe Call the A U in Oklahoma City.
Don't use Google Earth--take your GPS to each loft and release location.
Our Hauler takes the Gps with him [ So if for some reason he has change locations ] and calls the race Sec and give him the release coordinates.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Au rules is you can not mix bowen and gps together. Also if you're going to use gps you need to use certain gps that is allowed by AU and not just any ordinary gps.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Au rules is you can not mix bowen and gps together.
Yeah, I've read that. I'm trying to collect our locations to convert our club to all gps. But I also want to make sure I'm doing it right.

I'll check into the waas gps-thx. That may be the answer.

Sky- I've used both google earth and my handheld in the same location(s) and they are the same numbers.

Thanks all . . .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Need just a little help here:

An example of a coordinate I'm using is 38.93'89.88"N, 84.75'83.79"W

I'm just not sure what I'm missing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
This isn't a real location format (strictly speaking as typed)
post a picture of your GPS at your loft and post it

I've had a number of GPS's some were very hard to read and use (and even still give me trouble if i haven't used it in a while)

WAAS is a calibration method based on 2 of the satellites over the US, you need a GPS that will use both calibrations, some WAAS GPS only use 1, and some GPS don't use either (but most new ones do)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it out - thanks. I was using decimal degrees instead of DMS (degrees, minutes, seconds). I didn't realize the difference as they are somewhat close.

Another good conversion site (like the one RodSD suggested) is

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

FWIW, Google Maps will use decimal degrees and Google Earth uses the Degrees Minutes Seconds format that most GPS devices use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts