Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have adopted a pair of Kings from Mickocoo. The male Rio has become my favorite bird. I am in the process of adopting more birds. In the morning I open a window to a large flight pen.My birds can go in and out all day. Rio is always the first bird out and spends all day outside. Even on rainy days he will spend a few hours outside. He is the biggest bird in the loft. he goes in at night so I am sure its not a bully keeping him out. It is almost like he can't get enough sun and fresh air. It is most likely he came from a commercial breeding farm. are birds raised on large scale kept indoors their whole lives?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tryed google to learn more. All I found was about Pigeon king and the ponzi scheme. Thanks

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Most of my birds spend all of their time outside until they're locked in their lofts at night, even in the rain (especially in the rain lol). I think that's natural for them to want the fresh air and they enjoy the rain also. Feral pigeons are often found in the rain with their wings out taking a "bath". ;)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
I think it's in a bird's nature to want to be "free" rather than in a cage, even if they are prefectly comfortable and happy in it. Pigeons love to sunbathe and get some exercise. Any commercial animal farms you see will be overcrowded, or on the brink of being overcrowded. Especially commercial layers, who never even see the ground, just a wire bottom cage. So if I were him, I would definitely want to spend as much time as possible out in the sun :) They also like to hang out in the rain since it makes an effortless shower. Dangerous if predators are around, but the pigeons love showering anyways :rolleyes:

My birds also spend most of their time outside when I let them have an open loft. Mine are on a feeding schedule though, so I can easily call them back in when I need them to.

·
Registered
790 Posts
They never get bath's except when they are young before into the breeding pens and are never outside in avraiys, when a cat in the barn spills the waterer you should see how happy the birds get.
I would hate to work at that barn/ farm you work at.. I probably would want to open up the doors and let them all out.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Raising meat Birds--They don't care how the birds look "AS" long as the money "GREEN"
How sad, they are still living creatures who should be able to enjoy their little lives. They are no different then my spoiled homers/satinnettes/helmets/budapests, they just have different owners with different priorities.

I'm tired at looking at the title here...how about changing it to UTILITY birds?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crazy Pete, my birds are 100% pets. After work I get a glass of wine and a handful of peanuts, and just enjoy the show. For me it is a great way to unwind from the work day.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
But they love to bathe, and these birds never do. How awful to live a crowded stress filled life, with nothing to look forward to, only to be killed for food at the end of it. I think that's pretty bad. Poor things.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pigeon Lower, Thank you I wanted to learn something about my Kings. I think any 16 year old that has a job should be commanded.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts