Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question about PMV-1 / Sel-Bac / Pox live vaccine shelf life.

If I order the 100 dose vial and load 10 syringes with 10 cc's each.

How long will the live vaccines last in my refrigerator if I don't use them all on the same day?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
As long as you do not put the needle into the vaccine more than once you will not contaminate it. Then it is a good as the exp date. Change needles after a small group of birds and you should be good. I alcohol between birds. You will feel the needle getting dull.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You may add to the post where to vaccinate the birds. Some say neck, some say where the leg meets the body. I do the leg because I can do these myself. The neck needs two people or a contraption to hold the bird. Love to here your thoughts.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I watch a club member demonstrate his vaccine processes. His simple bird holder is a 10" long piece 4" PVC pipe flange screwed to a 8"x14" piece of 3/8" ply (pipe centered on ply, running the length; he would move the pipe closer to one end on his next version). He screw this to a shelf. A bird is wrapped in w towel and inserted into the flange head first. Once the head is out the end, vaccinate.

He made it look pretty easy. Granted he did not actually vaccinate a bird and the "test bird" was very tame. I liked the simplicity and functionality of the restraint. I can see it working for just about anything if the pipe had an "access" point in the mid section that you could use to expose a different area of a bird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts