Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
after a month we will have out first race. I am in plan to vaccine "Live ND Lasota" them on coming weekend "We don't have hard vaccine time yet"
Today in our club meeting, other fanciers told that either i vaccine them tomorrow or do not vaccine now. in their opinion, it will impact bird performance and bird will not recover in 3-4 days.

Is this true that one should not vaccine their pigeons few days before race?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Here is a couple of articles you could read:

Never vaccinate during an important period, such as the racing period, the breeding period, the moulting period. Make sure you have an interval of minimum 1 month between the date of vaccination and the start of that period, so you won’t have any negative influence due to the vaccination.

At the age of 6 weeks you can vaccinate them against the pox or paratyphus. I would suggest to do first the pox, because the pox vaccination, no matter which vaccine you use, can give some problems with the homing ability of the pigeons, certainly on day 7 & 8 after the vaccination. Therefore it is better not to let them fly during that period, so they won’t get lost. If you vaccinate against the pox at an age of 6 weeks, they don’t fly very much outside, and you don’t have to interrupt the learning procedure.
http://www.pipa.be/en/newsandarticl...e-questions-vaccination-against-paramyxo-othe

Can I race recently vaccinated birds?
No. Clubs and federations throughout Australia do not allow birds with obvious transmissible disease to be entered into races. Pigeons that are still carrying their scabs after inoculation are infectious to other pigeons (that have not been inoculated) and therefore should not be allowed entry.

Birds will react differently to the vaccine and while some birds may be very good others may react more slowly, have a slight fever and be a bit unwell. These birds will be at risk of being lost if raced.
http://www.melbournebirdvet.com/pigeon-pox-vaccination.aspx

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You're welcome. I know it isn't what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Jay No, this is what I wanted to hear, because I want my birds perform well :)
also I checked in log, I vaccinated them a month ago, so I am safe in this season :)

It will be also great if you can recommend something to give on return for fast muscle recovery ?

I give them
honey water or a home-mix (jinsing, arnica etc)
half date per pigeon , 2 hours after their food

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You would be better to ask that of racers. They all have their own ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is not recommended to give the vaccine to pigeon before the race. Never inoculate ill pigeons, this will cause a bird to become even iller, and the bird won’t get enough energy to fight against the disease you have vaccinated, this indicates that the vaccine won’t perform effectively. Never inoculate with medication that has not been saved under the right conditions or that is expired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts