Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to change my birds feed. I was feeding them a mix that included shelled corn. After learning that some only feed corn in the winter, I decided to go to a 10 grain mix without corn, 13% protein. The grains include :Wheat, Milo, Maple peas, trapper peas, austrian peas, buckwheat, white millet, oat groats, malt barley, and safflower. I figure I can just purchase shelled corn seperately and add some each day in the winter months, for energy. I realize that this is like an art form, but I am not actively racing my birds, just flying around the loft. Does anyone use this type of feeding schedule? Also, is it a good idea to provide breeders during breeding season, the grain mix with corn? thanks

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I feed my birds with corn all year round, but I did notice that they eat less corn during warmer season. Sometimes they just leave it alone and becomes waste. My breeders get to eat it, too. I suppose they need that corn more because they are using their body heat during incubation. If you add corn to that 13%, you will end up with protein that is less than 13%. That wouldn't be good for breeders that need higher protein. I add peas on mine to up the protein for my breeders.

The 13% without corn is probably fine. Just observe their performance. If they fly less, then they might need more carbs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts