Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at various foods in preparation for my fantails & read that pellets should also make up some of their food instead of being all seeds & grains, and in my quest to find out which pellets I should be buying, several people have mentioned layers pellets.

So, I have found some pellets in the UK from Copdock Mill.
They are advertised as "Premium Quality Complete Feed for Poultry, 20kg, Range Layers Pellets with Verm-X to aid digestion & protection against intestinal problems in your chicken, 100% natural
Premium Quality Complete Feed for Poultry, 20kg, Range Layers Pellets with Verm-X to aid digestion & protection against intestinal problems in your chicken, 100% natural.
Verm-X is a natural formulation for the control of intestinal hygiene, and is certified for use on all farms, offering an effective solution that is free from artificial chemicals. The diet has an inclusion level of Verm-X so it can be fed to the hens every day and will give continuous protection. You can still eat your hen’s eggs whilst feeding Verm-X"

So - my question is - are these safe & also beneficial for Doves & Pigeons? Has anyone else ever tried these? They do a whole range for most animals but I haven't seen any that are labelled as "pigeon". And since I can't actually find which brand or type of pellets other UK dove keepers seem to be using, any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Post a link to the exact product, or copy past the ingredient list and nutritional analysis. From what i found by googling it, it looks like it’s a grain mix with spices added and without a lot of vitamins. I can’t find a nutritional analysis though.
In general, I wouldn’t feed poultry food to pigeons. Pigeons have closer dietary needs to parrots than chickens, but parrot pellets are pricey. I haven’t found a pigeon pellet that has any science behind it without questionable ingredients.
I just feed a pigeon seed mix, lots of leafy greens, and give parrot vitamins a couple times a month.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

This is the listed ingredients that I can find:

Ingredients:

Wheat, Hipro Soya Bean Extract (GM#2), Barley, Calcium Carbonate, Wheat feed, Sunflower Extract, Blended Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Oils, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Dl-Methionine, Antioxidant, Layers Supplement, Vitamins and minerals.

Analytical Constituents: Crude Oil and Fats 4.5 % Crude Protein 17.0 % Crude Fibre 4.0 % Crude Ash 13.5 % Moisture 14.0 % Sodium 0.2 % Total Copper 19 mg/kg Calcium 4.0 % Phosphorus 0.5 % Lysine 0.70 % Methionine 0.36 %

Composition: Wheat, Hipro Soya Bean Extract (GM#2), Barley, Calcium Carbonate, Wheatfeed, Sunflower Extract, Blended Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Oils, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Dl-Methionine, Antioxidant, Layers Supplement. (GM#2) produced from genetically modified material, vegetable oil contains BHA and ethoxyquin as antioxidants.

ANd then this is the main Verm-X website:

·
Registered
467 Posts
That’s higher protein than I would give my (confined, non-breeding) pigeons. I’d have to do some research for the micronutrients, but chicken food really isn’t ideal for pigeons. The Vern-x thing is BS, but probably isn’t harmful? They seem to be advertising it as a dewormer, but never actually say it treats parasites because it definitely won’t.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you - I'm trying to find something that's as natural as possible whilst ensuring they get as much nutrition as they need, so I liked the idea of it being a natural thing & yes, I understand its not going to be a wormer as such, I believe it works on the principle of making the birds digestive system as uninhabitable as possible therefore discouraging internal parasites - which I suppose is a nice idea.

Any ideas what pellets would be suitable (available in the UK)? I assume they do need pellets in their diet, as well as seeds, veg & fruit?
I tried looking for pigeon pellets but literally, the only things that I can find are either chicken & other poultry or wild bird food which I have no idea if suet etc is suitable for doves (mine will be fantails living outdoors BTW, not indoor caged ones, if that makes any difference in their food requirements)

I have just rang Verm-X to ask them if they do anything for pigeons & doves & they directed me to this instead as it isn't a feed so therefore won't be high in protein:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Like I said, I haven’t seen a pigeon pellet I would feed to my birds. If you want to feed pellets, you can use something made for parrots. Wild bird seed isn’t good either, and suet is completely inappropriate. They should be getting grains and legumes with few if any oil seeds. I’d check your local feed stores, or just order it online.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. When collecting the doves, each breeder seems to have their own take on what they feed them, so I think the diet I have made for them should be adequate. I've bought 4 types of various foods (pigeon conditioner, wild bird food, squeaker mix, dove food etc) and mixed it all together in a big tub & then I'm adding some fresh veg to it as well. That way, each of them has the food they were on, plus some extra which hopefully covers all bases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts