Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I adopted a moody male pigeon that is unlike any I've had before. At first I kept him beside a cage with one of my other pigeons for a week (usually works for me to help them get better acquainted this way) then let him in said cage. He's been very aggressive since I received him, but that's been the case before and I've always had pigeons warm up to me. He will go out of his way to attack his cagemate and every time I go to change water or food, he will wing slap and bite me like crazy. He is also my most vocal bird by far. I've worked hard to make sure he gets out (very difficult to coax him from his spots and back in), tried my best to feed him by hand (he won't, even if he hasn't eaten for a day) and I've never been hard on him. The other pigeon is wholly submissive, very friendly, and never confronts him but still is sought out and is literally thrown around the cage and off of perches. I have broken up dozens of fights and separated them because my other pigeon has had a concerning amount of feathers ripped out. I can't help but feel like my efforts are making it worse. It's been almost a month. They live in a good size cage and have everything they need. Is there anyone else who has had this problem? What is best for my pigeons?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Are they male and female? You might have two males. Obviously the new one is viewing the cage as his territory, that's why he is attacking your hand inside the cage as well as the other one. I would rather keep them seperate. You can offer the new one treats from your hands, like chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. First put some on his food for him to start eating them. Pigeons just love them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they male and female? You might have two males. Obviously the new one is viewing the cage as his territory, that's why he is attacking your hand inside the cage as well as the other one. I would rather keep them seperate. You can offer the new one treats from your hands, like chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. First put some on his food for him to start eating them. Pigeons just love them.
Thank you for the advice! They are both males, I think I'm just scared of how mean he is to his roomate compared to other moody pigeons I've had. I'll see how peanuts help his mood :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts