Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so new to all of this and fumbling my way around even trying to post a question :confused: Anyway, my grandfather found a white pigeon outside near a brick wall, it kinda walked/ran from him but not so much that he had trouble catching it. It didn't fly. He put it in a box and brought it to my kids (because he had just told them the story of his pet pigeon when he was a boy). My kids really would like to keep it -but I just don't know if that is what is best for the bird. When we first got him we got him some cooked cracked wheat and some bread and he ate quickly and drank too. I have since read a little and provided him with some salt, more wheat (uncooked), and minced garlic (which he picked around and didn't eat). He has a healthy appetite. At first he/she was just inactive but now seems to be wanting out of the cage. We have had him for 2 days (going on the 2nd night). His poop seems watery and not like the pictures I saw of what it should look like. And he uses the bathroom quite a bit. Since he seems to be wanting out of the cage - should I let him? What do you advise me to do? There are no tags on him.
Blessings, Veronica

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'ld tell you what to do but I'm not sure my self, however somone that knows a lot more will chime in soon, I know that normaly they say if they have pics of the bird, and the poop is a big help. some pigeons can't fly verry well.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Can you post some pictures of the bird and the droppings? That isn't the best diet which combined with the stress of being on its own for a while, could be causing the watery stool. I recommend getting some wild bird seed - the more variety of seed in it, the better. High protein and fat content will help put some weight on the bird. I imagine it was tired, stressed and starving but may not be sick. You can mix some apple cider vinegar into his water at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon. Which is roughly 1 teaspoon per quart. A lot for one bird but put the rest in the fridge and it won't go "bad" or anything :) Vinegar is good for preventing bad bacteria from growing and getting the bird sick. It also promotes the growth of good bacteria which the bird needs to fight off disease. So overall good stuff! :)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Only let him out of the cage if you keep him indoors. Keep in mind if he has perked up, he may be able to fly now.

Also, is there ANY sign of an external injury ? Blood, lost feathers, scratches, scabs, abrasions ?

Also post where you are located.

You have done well so far...thanks to you and your grandfather for saving the Pigeon's life.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes, it would really help if you could tell us your general location (Frostbite Falls, or, Frypan Rockgarden).
Too many sudden enviornmental changes without proper care/attention can cause a lot of trouble, not to mention improper diet.
Pigeons are some very strong birds, but if you don't do the correct thing, things could go in a different direction Fast!
Study, learn all that you can about all kinds of Pigeons, and whatever you do, Always ASK! :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update with Pictures!

We about an hour West of Asheville NC. The bird showed up right after we experienced some severe thunderstorms with straight line winds. I have seen some wild pigeons in our town but not white ones. Do you think he could be wild since he has no tag? Of course he wasn't found in town but up on a mountain in the area. My grandmother seems to think he must be sick or he would have flown away and not been so easy to capture - thoughts on that? His poop seems to have firmed up quite a bit! I spent some time reading last night to figure out what kind of pigeon etc.. I will try to post a pic. I was thinking king pigeon but I'm not really sure??? I have some chicken scratch and was thinking about giving that until I got to a pet store? Thank you all for the help.

Blessings, Veronica

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and I haven't seen any wounds, punctures etc. on him - I stretched out his wings and they both return quickly back to the side of the body.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
ahhh he is cute. looks like a king pigeon to me. I think when you get him on seeds and grains and with the ACV in the water like Becky said those droppings just may improve.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought he was beautiful spiritwings :) I did let him out in the house today Jaye. It took him just a little bit and he came out on his own. ( I played pigeon sounds on the computer and he was a little curious) He hasn't walked around much though... and he keeps lifting one leg up and standing on just one leg - is this normal? He still is a bit stand-offish of people - any tips on helping with that?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Definitely not a feral pigeon. Unfortunately not everyone bands their birds. Looks like you have a new pet! :) It will get more friendly in time. It does look like a king pigeon to me, which are not the best fliers but can get around pretty good. Definitely don't want to be letting it out for quite some time anyway until it is rested up and used to the place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts