Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

When I first saw this bird in the aviary I thought it was an injury to the eye.
It's one eye is gunged up and it has no vision from this one.
Other eye looks ok.

Someone thought it might have been cat caught, but I really have no definite info on it's background.

On getting it home, I've put it on heat and started it on Noroclav (Synulox).

While I was treating it I noticed it has a 'wet' noise when it's breathing. Once relaxed in it's box I can't hear it, so it's obviously worse when stressed.

I've been reading up to try and find a diagnosis. The symptoms of Ornithosis seem to fit which is a bit worrying, but there could be other causes of these problems.

Any thoughts and suggestions on possible treatment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Janet

Janet

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Start her on Doxycicline for 5 days, 2 days vitamins and probiotics and another 5 days Doxycicline. If you can get Doxy-T it is even beter. Remove grit and any calcium sources while on AB. Dose in the water bur crop medicate with fluids to make sure she gets the dose.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Unfortunately the only thing I have to hand is Tylan but no Doxy, which can only be got from a vet here unfortunately. Is that worth trying on it's own for respiratory problems as I'm not sure if I can get any Doxy, unless I can find a vet that will see her tomorrow.

Apart from that I only have Baytril and and small amount of Flagyl to hand.

Janet

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Doxy-T is Doxycicline+Tylan

Tetracycline drug (Terramycin, Aeuromycin, Tetracycline , or Doxycycline)--good for respiratory infections; best when used in combination with Tylan. One usually has no distinct advantage over the other and they share a common spectrum of activity. With the exception of Doxycycline, they are all available over the counter as poultry preparations. Use 4 teaspoonsful per gallon of the regular strength or 2 teaspoonsful per gallon of the concentrate. Doxycyline is dosed at 500-1000mg per gallon. Use these for 7-14 days.

Tylan--use as mentioned above, in combination with a tetracycline for respiratory infections. Tylan powder is dosed at 1-2 teaspoonsful per gallon. Individual dose at 50 mg per pigeon per day.

You could start Tylan only and see if you can get Doxy-T. Here in SA is over the counter drug you can get in most of the pet shops.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Synulox = Amoxicillin & Clavulanic Acid
You can mix it with Tylan
and you can mix alltogether with
Ronidazole
dosages needs to be calculated though per body weight of the dove.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. She's been re-hydrated and has just tucked into some seeds.
Breathing is very noisey so just have to keep fingers crossed overnight.

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Janet, maybe Jayne has some doxy.

What colour is the gungy eye? Have a careful feel around her head for ticks.

Cynthia

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi Cynthia,

I had just had that same thought about Jayne. I've got to go out now so will send her an email.

I'll look at the eye a bit closer and report back,

JAnet

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had a closer look at the eye but she gets very stressed and starts breathing heavily so had to put her back.
I'll be able to see better tomorrow in daylight but it may be a wound as there's something above the eye. I wonder if it is a tick as it seemed browney/ blood coloured. The light just wasn't good enough to tell tonight but the eye looks the same colour. Definitely not a puss colour if that helps. I'll get a picture tomorrow as she can't see out of that eye and so I can get up close without having to hold her.

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
OK. These are two pictures of doves with eye damage that might have been tick related.

Tania found this one, it made a full recovery. When its lid became visible it had a small slit in it, so it could have been injury, not a tick but if you look at the very top of the eye it has the typical swelling:

This is Hermione Olive, she also made a full recovery. A third one, who had a tick removed by the vet also had an eye similar to Hermione Olive, but the eyelids were so swollen that the eye wasn't visible. That one also made a full recovery.

Ticks excrete toxins in their saliva that can lead to nervous symptoms. They also excrete an anticoagulant.

F.D W Harper says "Sticky eyes with yellow pus, often associated with dirty wattles and stained wing buts caused by rubbing the eyes...usually several birds affected, some of which will make rattling sounds as they breathe. The probable cause is chlamydia (ornithosis) and the birds need aggressive treatment." He says that in his personal opinion Baytril is active against Chlamydia

Birds with an eye injury , or eye infection can get hard pus in the eye.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting pictures. I'll get one to compare tomorrow. It's probably more like Hermione's picture.

I started her on Noroclav and loaded the first dose, (only given one so far), as the lad mentioned she might have been cat caught, so I thought she needed an urgent dose. I got conflicting info on her. One said she came in yesterday, the warden said three days ago. So I have no clues.

With that info about Chlamydia causing rattling breathing I wonder if she should have gone on Baytril with Tylan.

I appreciate it's a guessing game but just want to try whatever I can.

Janet

Just had a message back from Jayne she's sending some Doxycycline. Sadly she's just lost a bird tonight.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

She's still with me but just the same with her breathing.

Pictures of her eye:

Janet

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
The breathing may be a separate issue, I have never (fortunately) had a case of ornithosis so I have no experience of what the eye would look like, but her head feathers look disturbed.

Please examine her carefully for ticks. I am a bit obsessive about this because according to John Chitty and Michael Lierz "Tick bites have been recorded as causing a fatal neurological syndrome in a collared dove". We had a collared dove with a tick and opisthotonos which, in retrospect, we think was caused by the tick bite...she survived and was released.

Can you e-mail me the largest versions of both the photos that you have? So often those digital photos reveal far more that we can see when looking at a bird.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

I've bathed the eye area gently with some Colloidal Silver spray and just dabbed it with a cotton bud. It's dried blood coming off. I had to put her down for a while as her breathing is laboured when stressed. I'll go and have another look for ticks now.

Her feathers are coming out around her head aswell.

Janet

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've bathed the eye again and pushed the feathers back around the lump. The area is very swollen and protrudes from the head if I look at it from above. There's a lot of dried blood and the eye itself looks as if it might be damaged, but can't be totally sure of that.
She didn't mind me touching above the eye but winced when I touched a spot nearer the front of her head and struggled, so I think there's a wound possibly. A lot of feathers missing.
I'm tending to think it's a wound as opposed to an infection. I can't see ticks, I've only seen one on my dog before it had gauged itself and grown, and a ferret covered in them and they were more like tiny pimples, so hope I'm right.

The breathing as you say might be a separate issue.

Her poops are starting to look dark green so I've popped her a few defrosted peas down. She was quite perky before I started to mess her about and hopped off my lap when she saw a dish of seeds. She tries to pick up but although she looks as if she's eating, I think her sight is making it hard for her to see the seeds once she gets up close. I only saw her successfully pick up four sunflower hearts even though she was pecking about for a while.

My biggest concern is for her breathing as she sounds like Tweet did now. Jayne has put the Doxy in the post so just have to hope the postmen behave and get it here asap.

Based on the possibility she might have a wound above the eye, and respiratory problems, together with the possibility the rattling sound could be caused by Chlamydia, Ornithosis, how many meds can I give her to cover these at one time?
She's on Synulux, Tylan, and hopefully Doxy tomorrow. Are any of these covering the Chlamydia possibility, as F D W Harper suggests Baytril for that.

I don't think she's got time to wait to see how each one affects her symptoms individually but I don't want to overdose her.

any help appreciated.

Janet

Cynthia, I'll just try and enlarge & email the pictures now.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Thanks for the photo, it looks like quite a nasty eye injury, her beak also looks a bit damaged, so keep her on synulox. Also examine her for any other puncture wounds.

Wasn't Tweet's problem fungal? As the suggestion that it could be Chlamydia was based on the eye, I would have a rethink about the way forward. Try writing everything down, that always helps me.

Does she breathe with an open beak?

You could contact Jayne, preferably by phone...I think that she has had a pigeon with aspergillosis and one with ornithosis recently. Maybe she can clarify whethere there were any obvious differences in the breathing symptoms and mimic sounds for you.

You could also try e-mailing Retief, I know that he responded to an e-mail from Charlotte's father about Roger the woodie...but you will have to be quick as the surgery closes at 7. Or try one of those on line vet consults about which meds can work together.

BTW, did you give her spartrix?

Another thing to consider is that she probably picked something up at the sanctuary...which reminds me (I am so slow!) that Diane at A Wing and a Prayer had a recent outbreak of ornithosis among the woodies and collared doves there...can you phone her? She will know exactly what the symptoms are in a CD (Number is on Matilda's List for England).

If when everything is taken into account youhave to go for the balance of probabilities I would use the Doxy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts