Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am an ex pat living in Egypt and have just returned from the animal rescue centre/clinic. Took my sick female dove there as thought that was the last resort to go as there are no avian vets in Egypt as they dont care about birds here, just cats, dogs and horses...was told this by the sanctuary owner.
Anyway so now i need help with my birds condition and how to treat her myself. She has had various trouble laying eggs and the last two she laid was August 6th. She laid them but wouldn't sit on them at all. Her male partner sat on them for a while then gave up.
Then after mating again she wouldnt make a nest but in september just laid one egg from being perched on the ceiling fan.
This is when her troubles started. She became constipated or so it seemed, so i gave her some coconut oil and this seemed to do the trick for about a week. My friend from uk then brought her some calcivet and vitamin drops which she has been having since 1st November but now she is just pooing watery white sticky stuff, sleeping all day and hardly eating as she now seems to have a large hard lump which may be an impacted crop? Im honestly not sure as she seems to have such a lot wrong with her. At this moment she is sitting on my hand asleep. My friend is bring "guardian angel " drops on 6th December but she needs to eat before then. She likes to eat cryshed shelled peanuts, but perhaps an overly large peanut is stuck? ? Again i have no idea. Any suggestions as to what to do or give her?
Have uploaded sime photod
Bird Beak Feather Wood Poultry

Bird Beak Feather Hardwood Wood

Bird Beak Wood Picture frame Couch

Bird Beak Feather Rabbits and Hares Natural material

Parasite Dish Stain Cuisine Insect

Bird Beak Gesture Small to medium-sized cats Comfort

Cuisine Dish Foam Comfort food Stain

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I've had a pigeon in the past that got an impacted crop from eating too much peanuts. Can you get human baby applesauce? Dilute this with a bit of warm water and give her small amounts throughout the day. Afterwards, gently massage the crop until she starts producing droppings.

It's no use adding more food into the crop if the crop is not emptying. Is she drinking water? If so, you can add some pure natural unfiltered apple cider vinegar to her drinking water. 5 ml acv to 1 litre of water. Do this in addition to the applesauce. Keep us updated plse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering. I think i have it wrong with an impacted crop as the hard lump is above that in her neck. All my doves have had acv for a long time in their water but i will try the making applesauce myself with ordinary apples ? As never seen cooking apples here. Will try anything to make her better. Do i give the applesauce with a syringe? And how much to give her. I have tried to show the lump better in anither two photos
Bird Beak Feather Chicken Wing

Bird Beak Wood Tail Poultry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try forcing 1 green pea to the back of her throat and see if she can swallow it on her own. If not then try giving her cooked, cool oatmeal. The peas would be best if she will swallow them. 20 to 30 peas 3 times a day, then examine her droppings should be dark with white tops.. she looks like she has a growth on her neck, can you fe if there is lump under her beak on her neck?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Her droppings are not normal, they look like short strings, green. She isn't getting enough food. Need to force feed 30 to 40 green peas, then watch her droppings. I'd put a light over her to keep her warm.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
The lump is her trachea, it becomes more obvious when the crop is empty. One can actually feel the rings if you touch it.

If her crop is empty, no need for applesauce. Can you take a flashlight and check inside her beak and back of the throat for any unusual yellow cheesy growths? The inside must have a nice pinkish colour.

Handfeed her defrosted peas as suggested. Remove the skins and feed the halves to her. Not too much the first time. If you see a change in the droppings, then at least the peas are digesting and you can feed more.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No inside her beak is still pink as far as i can see and i have fed her 3 peas so far and she has eaten some seed and drank water with acv so far today. I shall feed more peas in 2 hours as did not want to stress her out too much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
She has had 3 poos which i could tell were peas but she is still sleeping a lot. Will do more peas tomorrow ans let you know how she is. Thank you for your help.
30 to 40 thawed frozen green is a full meal. The peas will flush the dove. The droppings should get back to normal, keep feeding peas until the droppings are normal with white tops. Make sure plenty of water is available. I would put a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar in their drinking water helps digestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have been feeding her peas and a bit if applesauce and she is pooing more often now but without the white top. She has eaten a few crushed peanuts and a bit of seed herself. I have acv water and garlic water on offer and plain water and she has had two good drinks today. Will keep persevering with the peas etc as even though shes still sleeping a lot she seems a bit brighter. Thanks to everyone who replied.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello she seemed to be improving slightly until today. She has been straining to do a poo all day after having 13 peas 10ml applesauce a bit of seed and 2 big drinks of water. Bit worried that she us going to prolapse with all the straining.
Attached a photo of her vent. Feathers are stuck together because of the poos. Should i give her a warm bath to soften the feathers? She is hanging in there but i am fraught that she might be in pain.
If she does prol
Ingredient Plant Gesture Finger Vegetable
apse what do i do then.
Many thanks for any replies

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes, give her a warm soak in water. What are the chances she might be eggbound? Are you giving regular calcium with added Vit D3?

If she has a prolapse, you can put some preparation H on the prolapse. This will keep the area moist and shrink the tissues. I have a female that used to get prolapses from time to time. The first time this happened, she was eggbound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I will give her (Charlie) a bath tomorrow and put some cream in her as its 1.130pm in Egypt and shes sleeping on a hot water bottle at mo.
I do think shes eggbound as shes never been the same since August when she had 2 eggs with difficulty then wouldnt sit on ththem.The last 2 times before that she only had 1 egg. Then the next time around only 1 again but wouldnt make a nest and laid it from our ceiling fan onto the floor. I will keep trying all suggestions thank you

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Start giving her calcium with added Vit D3. Soak her in warm water with a bit of epsom salt added, this helps to relax the muscles. Even better if you keep her in a steamy bathroom. Give some olive or coconut oil orally and also put some on her cloaca.

I hope she will be ok.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
It's also possible she might have a rotten egg inside her. Mine did, and she expelled the whole thing after 10 days. Any chance of getting antibiotics like Betamox or Synulox for treating infection?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She's really bad today and wont even attempt a drink. She's still straining for a poo but is very weak and cant walk properly. I am going to feed her coconut oil and some calcivet and give her a bath now.
Got some amoxycillin oral solution and shes had that as well.
We can only hope but shes very ill now.
Sadly she has passed away very peacefully.
I am so upset, it was heart wrenching as she has lived with us inside our house, with her partner for nearly 2 years. Thank you for all your help and advice it was appreciated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts