Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a beautiful, sweet white King Pigeon that walked into a friend's house last week. They couldn't keep him. I got him on Friday afternoon, 11-18-22. He started showing symptoms of PMV on Saturday. I am desperate to save him. Took him to Emergency vet yesterday. They thought I should euthanize him but I brought him back home with me after spending almost $300. Would gave been $1,000 if he spent the night! I don't know what a crop is but I'll google it. He can't eat or drink. What kind of baby food should I give him?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
You can handfeed him green defrosted peas. Defrost in warm water and put one at a time deep inside the beak over the tongue. Feed him 150 peas per day divided into 3 meals of 50 each. Try to get a handrearing formula for baby parrots. Mix some powder with a bit of water to form a soft clay and then make small peasize balls. He will benefit from the vitamins. Feed 50 % peas and 50 % formula balls. After feeding you can dip the tip of his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water.

Put his seeds in a deep dish as this will make picking up of the seeds easier. Also keep him as stress free as possible. Leave a shallow small dish of water with him to prevent drowning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marina,

Thank yoú for the information. I was able to get about 10 peas in him yesterday (I didn't want to overwhelm him), as well as meloxicam and water. He began sitting straight up in his box yesterday, instead of sideways or on his back. I was cautiously optimistic. I found my poor pigeon dead when I checked on him this morning. I'm so very sad. I was hoping to spend many years with him. 😢
Rest in Peace my sweet Thomas 🙏

Linda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts