Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contact for pigeon-friendly vet or rehabber in Canberra, Australia, needed for rescuer caring for two 1-week old babies.
The babies are very hungry but their crops aren't emptying. They were rescued after rain water flooded the nest and the shivering hen rejected the babies.
Very caring rescuer, she's doing her best re. warmth, formula and apple sauce, but the babies may need crop flushing and meds. The RSPCA turned her away and she's looking for a friendly vet.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Contact for pigeon-friendly vet or rehabber in Canberra, Australia, needed for rescuer caring for two 1-week old babies.
The babies are very hungry but their crops aren't emptying. They were rescued after rain water flooded the nest and the shivering hen rejected the babies.
Very caring rescuer, she's doing her best re. warmth, formula and apple sauce, but the babies may need crop flushing and meds. The RSPCA turned her away and she's looking for a friendly vet.
I've read horror stories here about vets in Australia. Supposedly if it's not a PET, they put them to sleep. So don't know what to tell you.....hopefully some Australian members will pipe up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Waynette, I hope so too.
I already knew that it was very complicated getting treatment for ferals in Australia, so I advised her to say the babies were her pets.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've read that in some areas of Oz there is a PMV outbreak. All , movement,shows ,racing etc have been stopped so be careful what you do. Check with vets in your area about moving it before an issue develops.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes the PMV1 Virus,is in the State of Victoria,in around the Melbourne.
Canberra being the Australian Capital Territory,no problems.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi Teresa,

Its so nice of you to try to help this pigeon, thank you!

For me, using vets to diagnose or treat feral pigeons in Australia is such a tightrope.

I guess what I would do personally if I had two ill young pigeons would be to make a few calls to the local wildlife rescue organisations, asking for someone who rehabs native pigeons. I would say that I have two native , grain eating pigeon babies like crested pigeons, or common bronze wing pigeons (they are both found in Canberra) for example. That way I might get access to advice over the phone, if not actual physical help.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bella,

Thank you so much for your advice, it's so appreciated!!! You know, I was about to send you a PM, then thought to check this thread again, and here you were! (Well, not in person, you know what I mean, lol!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'll copy your reply and send it to her. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts